Will you be watching the Qatari World Cup?

Will you be watching?

• Total voters

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Easily the most controversial World Cup for many years, notable for the thousands of deaths involved in building the infrastructure, LGBTQ and women's rights.

And yet good old majority white Russia, pretty much got away with it in 2018.

I'll watch the England matches. Probably. It's not very exciting is it?

The World Cup is the only time I willingly watch football, but not this time.

I must say, if there's something better on, such as ASFXMAS, then I won't feel so obliged to watch.

The recent tournaments have been exciting as England have been on a high, but they're having a bad run. That's an easy excuse to switch off entirely, which I've done before without any problem.

I’m not really interested, but I’m going to pretend it’s out of principle.

Also it won’t matter that much here because Japan are doomed

I don't mind the World Cup, the theory being that you're watching the best of the best and that this should be a pleasure in almost any field. But absolutely stuff it this time.

I don't mind the World Cup, the theory being that you're watching the best of the best and that this should be a pleasure in almost any field. But absolutely stuff it this time.
Yes, I think that's why I take a vague interest usually - there's also something about the stakes finally feeling high enough for me, I'm not sure why I feel like that but there we are.

Flash forward to mid December, it's the final, England Vs Germany and other countries boycott the event because of England's appalling human rights record.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about it, partially because it's at the wrong time or year and partially for the Qatar of it all, but I'm expecting to watch the big matches.

FIFA/Qatar are cunts but I’m not boycotting something I’ve been looking forward to since the Euros last year.

I’ll watch everything I can.

A November/ December World Cup is not great. It's a summer staple. I have fond memories of watching matches in beer gardens.

The English fans won't want to cause a rucus in the cold and rain, so that's another tradition lost. The best bet would be if England and Wales both go out as quickly as possible and we can pretend it's not happening.

I didn’t even know it was happening this month and I lived in Qatar for 6 years. I have no interest in soccer.

Yeah I will, I can't deny that. I enjoy football too much but the decision to award Qatar this tournament (and arguably Russia before it) should have been the end of FIFA.

I imagine I’ll watch bits and pieces without ever sitting down to watch the full 90 minutes too often.

love football (club moreso than international) but not watching a minute of this on (pleasure) principle. they can fuck off.

I keep forgetting it’s happening; the build up has been just non-existent and the Winter is a shit time of year for it.

I normally never miss an England game but I really can’t see myself bothering.

I'm torn

On the one hand. I nodded along when Ian Hislop tore Gary Neville one. I smirked at Joe Lycett calling out Beckham. I've agreed whenever anybody has opined all of FIFA should be thrown in jail for awarding the tournament to Qatar in the first place. So in no world do I (or I suspect most of the English public) have any moral scope to then support the whole industry by justifying a single penny of the TV or advertising revenues. Nor should I entertain FIFA's disgusting instruction that we should all just forget human abuse because SPORT.

On the other hand - when my housemate inevitably puts it on the living room TV, am I going to seize the remote or leave the room? Am I going to turn down an invite if a friend wants to go to a bar to watch it? I'd like to think so, but it is also possible I will just become a STINKING TERRIBLE HYPOCRITE.

I'll try to watch every match, because as much as i disagree with the whole farce, i'm not sure me switching over to Corrie will make a blind bit of difference.

Well, I say every match. I'll probably end up skipping some of the obviously boring ones between Canada and Frangipane.

do you know I never really though much about it, the World Cup is just something that builds quietly in the background, then we all get involved like mad for a couple of weeks, and then it goes again

But as this gets nearer, I’m feeling more and more uncomfortable. It’s just a reminder that these big sporting bodies are so corrupt. I mean Russia and Qatar? They’re not even trying to hide the fact that they’re taking bribes any more. All the rush jobs, all the deaths because of lack of proper preparation, because a few old rich men decided they wanted a quick bonus. Horrible.

I also really dislike the tribalism that English people embrace when it starts, but at least this year the fucking English flag might be drowned out a little bit by Christmas decorations.

Not really because it bores me to death. And talking about principles, I didn't see any eurofan boycotting Eurovision in Israel or so, just saying.

I feel like I heard loads about boycotting Eurovision in Israel!

I only watch football when it’s the World or Euro cup, it’s one of my favourite things to watch on tv and is as exciting as Eurovision.

Qatar should’ve never been allowed to host the event, it’s not even a football nation, but now that they are I don’t think watching or not would change much. I do hope that the people who are going to boycott it also don’t go on holiday to Dubai either.

I agree though that it’s not the same thing as watching it during the summer, and I don’t look forward to watching it as much as I normally do.

I will be watching. But then, the level of hypocrite I would be to not watch considering I went to Doha for the World Athletics Championships in 2019 (which was used as a test event for the World Cup in many ways) AND the fact that I'm currently earning quite a lot of my living off this event ...

I might watch the final, and even then I'll struggle with disinterest.

Qatar are shit at football, and sport in general, so if they don't lose their opening game 10-0 it'll be a huge disappointment

Speaking of Doha 2019, I recall the stadium being NEAR EMPTY during the athletics. Do we have any idea of ticket sales? I'd imagine a large share of tickets would have been allocated to the hosts.

Obviously the World Cup has far more global appeal, but can they really fill the stadiums for every game? Half-empty venues would be another nail in the coffin, especially for a country trying to sportswash their image.

Qatar are shit at football, and sport in general, so if they don't lose their opening game 10-0 it'll be a huge disappointment

It's rare that a host team enter qualification, but they do in Asia because it also serves as Asian Cup qualifying.

Qatar did very well in qualifying. You might be disappointed.

Speaking of Doha 2019, I recall the stadium being NEAR EMPTY during the athletics. Do we have any idea of ticket sales? I'd imagine a large share of tickets would have been allocated to the hosts.

Obviously the World Cup has far more global appeal, but can they really fill the stadiums for every game? Half-empty venues would be another nail in the coffin, especially for a country trying to sportswash their image.

Doha was empty- really empty!- until they shipped in busloads of migrant workers to fill the stadium. Which was actually fantastic in terms of atmosphere as there were loads of Africans who had something to support in the long distance races.

FIFA were trumpeting 3 million tickets being sold a few weeks back- which is roughly the same as for in Russia. What we don’t know yet is how many of those are corporate/ sponsorship and therefore won’t all be taken up/ used, but I don’t think it’s going to be a disaster.

I’m boycotting on the principle that I hate football. Same reason I don’t watch Eurovision National finals

It’s a great get of jail card isn’t it? The whole world is fucked, and I’m a bit of a wanker too, so there’s no point me objecting to a bit of human rights abuse!

Big fan. Looking forward to it. Still looking for the best way to stream it.
Can i do it with this iptv player actually? I know, that will be probably streamed everywhere on tv but i don't have one for couple of months already.
Maybe it was a mistake getting rid of it, but i just want to be sure we also spend some quality time with the family.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom