Candles/Diffusers.

Star

Homo Secretary (OB)
Anyone got any recommendations? I've just bought this Lime Basil and mandarin one from Aldi which is quite nice.

I don't like anything overpowering or expensive!

Oh and I got the sweet almond one from Aldi too which smells just like marzipan.

i've been looking for a diffuser for a while but i can never seem to find a design i like...

my heart was broken when i learned that (most) candles are really bad for you. but i loved them):

Do you mean diffusers which are basically reeds in a jar? Pretty much all shit unless you turn the reeds all day long and are sitting right next to them.

I love scented candles but they're so damn expensive for something that's exhausted so quickly. I really want something for my classroom because the building is old and musty AS FUCK.

Are diffusers any better?

I quite like the grapefruit and ginger one from M&S. It’s not too expensive for a candle (£7ish).

Yankee Candle Linden Tree scent is my fav. A Yankee discount outlet shop opened near me last year and when I find one I like I seriously stock up!

TK Maxx for candles and find a company called DW Home, which are usually stocked there. They are amazing and not overpowering and their sea salt is my absolute favourite, though it helps where I live, I guess.

Mmmm
Yankee Candle Linden Tree scent is my fav. A Yankee discount outlet shop opened near me last year and when I find one I like I seriously stock up!

I've had one of those one the go for about three years. Well, it hasn't been burnt for over two because candles don't mix well with young cats. But that fragrance is so strong I have it on the bedside table and just take the lid off for an hour or so. That said, it's strong but not overpowering.

TK Maxx for candles and find a company called DW Home, which are usually stocked there. They are amazing and not overpowering and their sea salt is my absolute favourite, though it helps where I live, I guess.

I always think 'I'll have a look round TK Maxx'. Two minutes after walking in I'm fed up as it's such a mess. I suppose the home section must be a bit better organised though!

It's usually pretty much a jumble as far as the candles are concerned in my local branches as well. Certainly nowhere near as clearly ordered as a Yankee shop. But for candles I kind of like it.

Fuck looking for clothes in there, though.

I love the home stuff in TK Maxx and Homestore. I get so much Joseph Joseph stuff in there.

The clothes less so, but every now and then you find a gem.

I generally think Yankee Candles are fucking horrible- so overpowering and synthetic.

Having said that, a friend bought us one for Christmas year before last and I've had that on the go and it's not bad. I don't think I'd ever rush to buy one, though.

I find (well FOUND, like I said I haven't used one for a couple of years) Yankee ones vary enormously. But any of their food related ones particularly are disgusting.

Most of their fresh ones I've had are fine though. But even so, there are loads of other brands which are at least as good.

I find (well FOUND, like I said I haven't used one for a couple of years) Yankee ones vary enormously. But any of their food related ones particularly are disgusting.

Most of their fresh ones I've had are fine though. But even so, there are loads of other brands which are at least as good.

Yes, most are vile. All the sweet, Christmassy ones are so pungent I can’t begin to imagine who would buy those. But the few fresh smelling ones we have last for ages and are worth it with the outlet discount.

Recommend me some Yankee “fresh” ones. I’ll have a butchers next time I’m in Gunwharf...

I find Christmas ones tricky. Any Yankee food related Christmas ones are rancid, and some of their pine type ones just smell like toilet cleaner.

I always liked a eucalyptus and/or mint one in winter.

Recommend me some Yankee “fresh” ones. I’ll have a butchers next time I’m in Gunwharf...

I'm not familiar with their current range, to be honest. But I'm sure I liked most of their fresh ones to different degrees.

I had quite the candle cupboard a few years ago, as they were the sort of thing I could never resist getting when I was in TK Maxx or Home Sense, and was always given them as easy gifts. But now I've given them on, or Mr L has regifted them.

That said, I've just looked at the Yankee website and been reminded of their cotton, baby powder and cashmere ones, all of which are in the fresh range and I don't like much. I think it's probably the more ozoney ones I did like.

Linden Tree and Midnight Jasmine are both florals rather than fresh though. And Midnight Jasmine (as much as I like it) is very heady - if Sheena thinks a lot of them are overpowering, I don't think he'll like it, unless he's massively into jasmine, anyway.

Of course I only buy DIPTYQUE

diptyque_feu_de_bois_300gr.png

Quite a steal at only £68. Practically giving them away! :disco:

It's not especially expensive for a candle in the UK. Maybe we've just come accustomed to splashing out on a nice candle here and there.
Even 3 euros is expensive for a CANDLE for me. I'd splash out if it was a gift for somebody buy I never gift candles anyway.

Actually I almost never bother with scented candles and it just annoys me when they go all uneven after you’ve been using them for a while. Also, you get much more scent with essential oils and incense. Geranium, cannabis and sage for me please :weed:

Actually I almost never bother with scented candles and it just annoys me when they go all uneven after you’ve been using them for a while. Also, you get much more scent with essential oils and incense. Geranium, cannabis and sage for me please :weed:

I rather imagined you doing the dance of the seven veils, wearing something diaphanous and billowing, wafting burning sage about.

I find Christmas ones tricky. Any Yankee food related Christmas ones are rancid, and some of their pine type ones just smell like toilet cleaner.

I always liked a eucalyptus and/or mint one in winter.

Oh I hate pine ones. I’m talking cinnamon based ones. Occasionally spiced apple...

Oh I hate pine ones. I’m talking cinnamon based ones. Occasionally spiced apple...

As much as I like cinnamon, it's not a candle scent I like. I think i just prefer colder smells in winter.

:D Oh I do love a thawb and the likes. In fact I’d MUCH rather wear that than poxy Western men’s clothes. Especially JEANS. Even the word is disgusting

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh how ridiculous. Because I like THAWBS?

Anyway I’d say I’m about 70%/30% FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom