Dangerous Dogs - American Bully XL to be banned in the UK

Is the ban justified?

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
This has become quite the hot button issue at the moment.

What do we think? I'm a firm believer that bad owners are the reason for 99% of bad dogs, and I know some lovely, incredibly gentle and well behaved Pitties. But it is hard to deny that that a bad terrier is considerably less likely to rip a child's face off than 150lbs of muscle, so...

It does smack of an obvious culture war - excuse the pun - dog whistle, doesn't it? Anything for a distraction and an easy win.

I have seen a lot of generally liberal people on Twitter coming out in support of the ban over the past week though.

Also I imagine, if this law even goes through, it'll be incredibly hard to police and will just result in even more unlicensed, unethical breeding which will lead to more problem animals on the streets than before...

There really needs to be some sort of legislation against the people who breed these monstrosities, these MUSCULAR MURDER MACHINES, these HABSBURG HOUNDS for profit because otherwise they're just going to come up with some new flesh-eating chihuahua by Christmas.

How are they going to enforce this? What if somebody already has one?

I think it’s best if any existing ones are registered and neutered rather than destroyed.
I agree (obviously) and also it can’t be a good look for a government to be killing dogs

I agree (obviously) and also it can’t be a good look for a government to be killing dogs
Oh, but if this is passed, the government absolutely will be killing dogs. Where a breed is banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act, it’s illegal for anyone to own that breed and the assumption is that any dogs of that breed will be destroyed. The owners will have to apply for an exemption certificate, which involves proving that their dog is not a danger to the public and is deeply onerous to obtain. Just one of many reasons why this is a really, really stupid idea.

Killing people’s dogs - a surefire vote winner!

They had previously ruled out a ban explicitly so I'm assuming all the maulings have forced their hand.

It really does only take one person going viral on Tik Tok with the tragic plight of their ADORABLE XL Bully to shift the dial back in the favour of the Frankendogs.

I love dogs but YES. More often than not, the owners aren't responsible enough to have them.

They had previously ruled out a ban explicitly so I'm assuming all the maulings have forced their hand.

It really does only take one person going viral on Tik Tok with the tragic plight of their ADORABLE XL Bully to shift the dial back in the favour of the Frankendogs.
The only challenge will be getting a long enough video of the adorable little psychopath where it isn’t actually chewing on a toddler’s arm.

I do know someone who has 3 Staffordshire Bull Terriers. She’s a 60 something year old woman with mobility issues and her dogs have attacked strangers and her adult daughters several time in the past just through them having no control over them and being poorly trained. So while the owners aren’t training their dogs to be aggressive, they’re clearly irresponsible owners, particularly having 3 of them.

I also have a colleague whose niece was mauled to death as a baby :(

There does need to be some regulation somewhere. Not a complete ban though.

I can't be doing with dogs. I'm sure it's very nice if they are yours but otherwise they are just a fucking NUISANCE.
As dear papa likes to remind me as a girl I once remarked on passing an old lady with a tiny dog "IF I HAD MY WAY THEY'D ALL BE SHOT"

They should just ban dogs that aren't cute

No more bulldogs, staffies, or fucking PUGS please

You don't see them banning breeds of CATS, that's all I'll say 💅

(Though they maybe should think about it with Persians for the same reasons as pugs x)

EXCLUSIVE: Dog pervert Eddie shows off his new tattoo down the working men's club

English-Bulldog-Tattoo-by-Andrea-Lanzi.jpg

I mean I know we should really feel sorry for the poor thing but :

:love:

It is revolting the number of "omgs how cute x" comments on that video, as if they aren't all cheering the deliberate creation of creatures UNABLE TO COPE WITH LIFE

Animal lovers my arse

I'm all for the state banning of dog breeders.

Had an incident walking my dog earlier where we bumped into one of these shitty things who starting barking and jumping up at my dog who started barking back. The owner then started shouting saying my dog (a little lab) was attacking his :) If the owner, much like his dog, wasn’t built like a brick shithouse I’d have had a few STERN WORDS.

I just find it interesting that for example last year 10 people in the country died from dog bites and no one was bothered but now each one is headline news. I mean, it's an improvement from highlighting all the Muslim human crimes in the 00s and all the transgender human crimes more recently but why the dog agenda all of a sudden?

I'm glad they have no plans to cull existing pets. That idea sickens me. Bad enough they do it already but I guess at least those breeds are already banned and not being killed for a restrospective crime of existing.

The problem here is that there's no scientific basis for determining exactly what constitutes an American XL Bully. What percentage American Pitbull genes, as opposed to breeds that don't have locking jaws, does the imaginary dog in question need to contain to be considered an American XL Bully? 5%? 30%? 75%? Will they be requiring all owners of any dog that looks like it might have a teensy bit of pitbull in its lineage to have expensive genetic testing done to prove their dog isn't one of this breed that even the Kennel Club doesn't recognise as a breed?

Once again the Government are saying they're going to do something that it isn't actually possible for them to do, middle-England seems to be cheering though so it must be all good.

In other news, some teenager stabbed another teenager last night, why aren't we banning teenagers? Knives are already banned so it must be the teenagers that are the problem.

Most dogs are terrible. Ban them all.

Also ban media led moral panics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom