Denmark 2024: Saba - Sand

VoR

Take it or leave it
Songs are out, NF to be held on 17 Feb.

Biggest name by far is Aura Dione, who had a #1 hit in Germany in 2011 with Geronimo.

Sand by Saba has strong songwriting pedigree, including Melfest's Melanie Wehbe. On first listen it's my clear favourite.

Real Love by Roseluu was written by Alphabeat.

Basim from 2014 is also back with this lyrical miracle

The Chase (Zoom Zoom) has been described as a Nordic take on Shum, which is a STRETCH to say the least

The rest:

You know, I've said for a while Eurovision needs more songs relating to the HOSPICE EXPERIENCE so yay (:eyes:)

Songs are out, NF to be held on 17 Feb.

Biggest name by far is Aura Dione, who had a #1 hit in Germany in 2011 with Geronimo.

Sand by Saba has strong songwriting pedigree, including Melfest's Melanie Wehbe. On first listen it's my clear favourite.

These two are very good. It seems like a strong selection this year, they seem serious about reversing their funk. Even the mandatory soppy male ballad has a little more juzh than is standard

Last edited:
I don’t agree that the songs are THAT strong. It’s a better selection than last year but yet again it suffers from being very MOR mostly.

Saba’s song is by far my favourite. And she is the bookies favourite for now. Yeah it’s a bit MF but it’s the most memorable song and I love the SAND! S-A-AND! bit.

It will be between her and Basim. His song would have done ok in 2012-14 but it’s dated now and the lyrics are fucking diabolical.

Chu Chu’s song is a fucking STATE. Aura Dione’s song is a disappointment, as is RoseeLu’s song based on the writers. The rest I couldn’t care less about.

I don’t agree that the songs are THAT strong. It’s a better selection than last year but yet again it suffers from being very MOR mostly.
There's definitely filler in there, but some high highs. A few options I wouldn't mind going to Eurovision

(Cut to Denmark choosing STELLA)

Aura Dione (and Alphabeat as writers) joining the long list of much-requested artists finally doing ESC with very meh songs :( I'd probably go for Sand. It is a better lineup than the past few, but the days around 2009-2012 or so when the Danish final actually felt strong feel a long time ago.

Øve os på hinanden, The Show and Breaking My Heart would have been my top three BY A MILE if they were in this year’s DMGP and none of them even bloody qualified.

This line-up really is bland. :D Aura Dione and Saba are probably the best chance at scraping through to the Final narrowly. There is potential (Sand is kinda catchy) although in desperate need of a revamp.

I do enjoy the messy state of Chu Chu but it feels more like a scrapped track from Jet Set Radio then something that should even be an option. :D

Running order probably not THAT important here, but it does seem like they’re putting their eggs in the Aura Dione basket…

I've just realised Love Is Forever was the last time they qualified. Astonished they haven't tried to wheel in a safe Say Yes rewrite just to end the funk, frankly.

Love Sand, but it has more than a whiff of the kind of thing that the gays generally like but which nobody hugely cares about when it goes out in the semis. Diljà Syndrome

Reilley was just TOO ADVANCED for the cloth-eared peasants of Eastern and Southern Europe it seems. :(

We were in a semi-final, where there were quite a few countries from different latitudes than ours. Countries where the modern pop sound that Reiley brings may not have its main audience.

It's hard to know what people in Albania and Greece, for example, have thought about our song, but if I'm honest, I think that could be one of the reasons.

But I think we came up with a really well-written pop song and an artist with a really unique image. Perhaps it was a little too advanced for the general population of Europe?

We were in a semi-final, where there were quite a few countries from different latitudes than ours. Countries where the modern pop sound that Reiley brings may not have its main audience.

Reiley's main audience:

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: VoR
Running order probably not THAT important here, but it does seem like they’re putting their eggs in the Aura Dione basket…

I have literally no idea why. She's a complete nobody and it's crap.

Reilley was just TOO ADVANCED for the cloth-eared peasants of Eastern and Southern Europe it seems. :(

The ageist Albanians put off by Reilly's ADVANCED YEARS :(

Seems the running order has been released, or at least the app has put them in this order:
1. SABA - Sand
2. Stella - Sign Here
3. CHU CHU - The Chase (Zoom Zoom)
4. Basim - Johnny
5. RoseeLu - Real Love
6. UBLU - Planetary Hearts
7. Janus Wiberg - I Need Your Love
8. Aura Dione - Mirrorball of Hope

Interesting that they put the betting odds favourite in the opening slot. :o

#3 (usually before first ad break/greenroom chats) and #8 (closing the show of course) are usually the desired spots in the draw of Danish national finals. It would appear the broadcaster is pushing for Aura Dione but I do worry Danes going for Janus as he is on near the end. :side-eye:

but I do worry Danes going for Janus as he is on near the end. :side-eye:
The Danes next Saturday:

1000053620.gif

^ Yes. Only change to the format is that it will have a jury voting in BOTH the first round and the super final for 50% of the total. The last two or so years, they only voted in the Super Final and televoting decided the 3 songs going to the Super Final originally.

We do have the juries voting in the past to thank for the "delights" of Leonora and Anti-Social Media over superior runner-ups. :eyes: How nice to give them more power. :gross:

The styling/staging choices for Chu Chu are more 80s that don't really fit the song. :D Unless they are changing some things from rehearsals.

Also it appears Aura Dione has committed to a mermaid staging. :D

Think I'm the only one braving this tonight? It's all so AWKWARD.

Sand the only correct entry so far. Sign Here, a perfectly cromulent performance but painfully average song, and Zoom Zoom sounding and looking like a Macedonian XXL rejected B-Side Circa 2000.

Loving the twelve members and two guests reading @Tisch’s STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS :disco:

Denmark has a worrying history of voting for bland boybands

Love that Tisch is going against the grain to report live from the frontlines of TEDIUM!

Thanks T-BAG!

Just switched over while Bjorn was rambling on in Sweden. The state of Aura's lips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom