Drag Race UK vs The World - episode 1

This was underwhelming. Juju singing again…give it up already. She deserved to be in the bottom.

Jimbo was the highlight, Pangina’s performance was good but I find her make up to be bad. Blu is only one of the UK who did something memorable.

Poor Lemon but that performance was not it. I still thought it was better than the Dutch queen.

Oh mammy. 4 times in about as many minutes.

Jimbo was a euphoria prolapse from start to ham. Ru looked mega pissed she clearly didn't give a damn about winning only a badge. Do the queens get paid anything for taking part in any of the seasons? It's such an expense it doesn't seem fair to not pay them all yet win Grammy awards when it's completely contestant propelled almost in spite of everything else sometimes. Back to Jimbo: that was every bit as iconic as the wind wailing.

Mo had the 2nd best runway, but high impact content was lacking in the talent portion even if the singing turned Mel C into Rebeca Loos.

I wanted Janey to stay, but only because there is something about him out of drag that I haven't decided I envy or not. Kinda dead behind the eyes and the catchphrases have no life injected into them.

I do wish Cheryl wouldn't keep harking on about being mediocre. She kind of is, but the can be the most effortlessly enjoyable too.

Jujubee being cast does highlight that this series still has little purpose, but her line about the UK vs the world for hundreds of years was killer.

I thought Baga's runway was a medieval thing, so much so that when Michelle was guessing I wanted him to explain "oh read a book". I did not get Oscar, and despite it probably being obvious and said out loud, etc, I didn't actually pick up on the runway theme until this critique :D

Not the best lip sync song. Lord knows I'm no Menly fan, but I Turn To You or a Mel C dance beat driven megamix would have been a hoot.

Ru's look one of his worst. I liked the chippie line.

They don’t get any prizes because it’s broadcast by the BBC, right?

But surely they get paid something for taking part in the show?

favourite things about the week: jimbo's talent, mo's runway, blu's talent show.

worst: baga runway and show - loved her the first time around but it feels tired and trying too hard this time, us queens thinking they're on american idol, blu's make up/style, cheryl's runway.

i thought the variety show was weak altogether. quite like janey but that was a bit rough. love lemon but her show was confused - the track was the biggest problem, it was rubbish and also sounded nothing like her. like pangina but there's something very mechanical when she's performing, it's not a gown, it's not bridal and it's not for me. also that wig? those hairbands? that ill-fitting top made of ties? poor cheryl looking completely out of her depth and constantly reminding everyone she's not very good was a bit :( she should've been in the bottom.

is mel c always stirring spice drama?

re: jimbo. own worst enemy. that performance in the lipsynch was unacceptable. pretty sure michelle's i don't know what you're trying to do but you need to stop is more on that type of behaviour.

I didn't get Jimbo's show and her lipsync was truly awful.

Lemon on the other hand I definitely wanted to see more of :(

Juju's song was coming across like a parody - I honestly expected her to start cackling halfway through and then switch it up into something else. But no, that was genuinely it. :(

We've had our quote of "oh mummy" and "much betta" for the season now. No more please.

Obviously I LOVE Juju, but she just came across TIRED and half-arsed in this. Maybe she's a bit burned out from Drag Race, or has shown all she currently has to offer in her last All Stars run because - as much as I love her - she was a clear BOTTOM in this.

The cast had negative chemistry for the first half of the episode, and the three UK queens just recycling their "catchphrases" non-stop was beyond GRATING. The appeal of Cheryl Hole for example was her lack of awareness of her casual nonchalance. Having her point out she's mediocre every talking head doesn't really WORK.

Jimbo and Pangina were clear tops, so happy for Pangina (who I LOVE) getting a moment. Good to see that FINALLY the judging panel seem to be moving past generic song/dance Talent Show performances and rewarding the more orginal acts instead.

Oh and Monique had one of the most beautiful runways I've EVER SEEN, but wtf was that talent show? I'm mad she didn't get a critique as whatever the hell it was NEEDED discussing! :D

Lemon also clearly devastated about her elimination as she'd obviously spent an absolute FORTUNE on runways she now wasn't able to wear :(

WHY would you show up to an all stars season with just a generic lip sync?!??

The first half put me in mind of one of the accursed Christmas specials where the Queens were just speaking in half-hearted, inorganic, worn out cliches.

It definitely ramped up when the competition actually started though.

Also I don’t get the dislike for Blu? I thought her talent perf was delightful and pretty creative! I generally find her enthusiasm to be on the right side of charming anyway.

Yeah I didn’t understand the troll thing, but at least she’s seldom boring! I’d rather see a tacky disaster on the runway than a generic gown.

Who was it that did a really unfortunate troll hair look a few years ago? Shuga Cain maybe? I kept thinking of that :D

I thought the troll look was pretty cool

Also I don’t get the dislike for Blu? I thought her talent perf was delightful and pretty creative! I generally find her enthusiasm to be on the right side of charming anyway.
I find Blu quite the irritant, but her talent show was easily the best of the UK queens, and probably 3rd best of the night for me. At least she didn't just rely on catchphrases and memes entirely like Baga and Cheryl.

Although I guess you can hardly blame Baga when Ru lapped that schtick up last time and the love shows no sign of having abated since. If Baga can show even a modicum of growth for Ru to jump on (she certainly didn't last night), I can't see her not being in the final of this.

I thought this was a lot of fun! And I kind of enjoyed Baga's song

I find Blu really irritating as well.

NOT happy with the Mo(nique) villain edit but you COULD argue she's brought it upon herself :eyes:

Jimbo's show and runway were brilliant, the lip sync abominable

How did Baga miss the bottom with that rubbish song, terrible lipsyncing, cheap outfit and then that fucking runway. Which was APPALLING.

:meh:

Well I mean I LIKE these queens, so on paper this should be amazing. But the Talent show was NOT, and the runway was BAFFLING.
Janey's runway was lovely, her talent was fine but yeah I was looking at the dangling sleeves and the sound levels were weird, like she was lipsyncing to backing vocals? She seems like a miserable cow too.
Lemon :( I really liked her on her season, and even though she tried to out-Aja Aja, she wasn't serving much in the way of face - where was the drama?

Everyone else, yeah it was all fine but ... hmm. Pangina was a worthy winner, and I hate to be predictable but GET IN ME NOW :horny:
I have to confess that I don't really like Jimbo that much - she was a cunt on Canada S1, and her fruitloop performances miss as much as they hit. The weird sperm alien ham thing was a miss for me, as was that dreadful lipsync.

Why is Juju so great, and yet so underwhelming these days?! It's infuriating - I want her to win but I am definitely not seeing it. I'm team PANG

A lot of fans are moaning about Lemon's elimination online based on her talent show.
I guess being a BBC production they weren't able to mention Aja's AS3 talent show, or use footage of it, but it's surely one of the most memorable Drag Race talent shows (along with the likes of Tatianna, Ben De La Creme, Derrick Barry :basil: etc).
5ABOj03.gif

rupauls-drag-race-rpdr.gif

If you're not able to top, or even compare, to the previous time somebody did a similar routine then you're always going to be judge unfavourably by comparison.

Although why the same rule of judging doesn't apply to lip syncs and live singing I'm not sure :eyes:

Last edited:
What was with the vocals too? All the live vocals had a backing track at the same volume, so it just sounded weird and echoey

I think most people think it should have been Juju with Janey in the bottom. It was a boring song for the third time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom