Eurovision 2023 Hangover thread!

Out of interest, how do the ratings account for communal screenings in bars, cinemas, outdoors etc? Presumably there were more of those than ever this year.
The BARB website only refers to 'homes' and 'households' if you look at how they say they compile viewing figures - so I assume the ratings quoted don't account for communal viewing.

It's probably also worth bearing in mind how much TV viewing has fallen in that period anyway.

The week of Eurovision 2011, EastEnders was getting an average 9m an episode - now it's getting 3.5m. Soaps have fared worse than average over those years, but The Apprentice was just below 9m, and Countryfile over 6m. Strictly was getting 2m more that year than it did last year.

I'm assuming they're holding back Loreen's sad little box and Käärijä's whiffy bolero for the second release.

Genuinely might put in a bid for one of the green room tables :D

Who is the one person in Iceland who doesn't watch Eurovision and why are they such a killjoy?

Reactions: LTZ
Cha Cha Cha and King of Queens are both on track to hit 100 million within a few weeks. When was the last Eurovision (if ever) where three songs hit that milestone?

Netta and Elena are both 100m+ from 2018, that's the only other year I can think of where there's more than one...

Cha Cha Cha and King of Queens are both on track to hit 100 million within a few weeks. When was the last Eurovision (if ever) where three songs hit that milestone?

Netta and Elena are both 100m+ from 2018, that's the only other year I can think of where there's more than one...
1974! (Though Long Live Love didn't hit 100m on Spotify till 1976)

Actually, Arcade and Soldi both did it in 2019 too. But nothing else from that year is anywhere near hitting 100m (not even Keiino)

But Stefania, Space Man and Slo Mo aren't even close - 53m, 54m and 65m respectively. Definitely a year where the top scorers were better for TV than for radio...

Marco Mengoni can't be that far away from it either, assuming that the 70m streams it's showing on Spotify is only for the original version and doesn't include the Eurovision one.

It added 1.5m last week, so I imagine it will get there eventually.

I already knew it but continue to be AGOG Snap is on 675 million streams and Tattoo may never beat it!

Snap is REDUCTIVE

Hence the numbers

In the long run, I do still think it'll be one of the most inordinately healthy things for the contest that the biggest streaming hit by far is something that came 20th to begin with. Incredible recruiting sergeant for the contest.

Oh absolutely. It's just funny to me that such a massive global hit made barely a ripple at the Contest it competed in. It's not even like it was something the Juries didn't get, or was ruined by a bad performance. It was just... there. Until three months later, when it was everywhere.

I was in the Croydon branch of Marks and Spencers yesterday when Snap started playing. An elderly lady ahead of me in the queue turned around and said: “you know, it’s a testament to the contest that this has been such a massive success on streaming services, long may it continue”, compelling the whole queue to erupt into cheers.

I was in the Croydon branch of Marks and Spencers yesterday when Snap started playing. An elderly lady ahead of me in the queue turned around and said: “you know, it’s a testament to the contest that this has been such a massive success on streaming services, long may it continue”, compelling the whole queue to erupt into cheers.
Loons!

A little update two months after

3A4000C0-3B17-43A9-B2E0-155E7B24305F.jpeg

*tries to resist posting about Blanka*

Not that it really matters (a stream is a stream regardless of where it's from), but I'd like to see a list which excluded streams from the home country. Although it certainly would knock Marco and his lovely hairy arse down a spot or two.

IMO Noa Kirel definitely has more international star potential than anyone else including Loreen. I hope the industry is kind to Loreen but I don’t think she will get much recognition beyond Euphoria and Tattoo after her tour until she does Eurovision again in 2034.

It’s not about age either. Rosa Linn is 22 and she has 1 billion streams but couldn’t sell her tour and her label don’t promote her music anymore. She looks like a sweet gal but atm doesn’t have the personality for global stardom. There’s only so many times you can play into the small town Armenian girl who had a TikTok song. I wouldn’t be surprised if Malena does ESC in the future.

Oh absolutely. It's just funny to me that such a massive global hit made barely a ripple at the Contest it competed in. It's not even like it was something the Juries didn't get, or was ruined by a bad performance. It was just... there. Until three months later, when it was everywhere.
SOME US believed in it since DAY ONE!!

Unicorn's position on that list is more impressive when you consider that it's not even a song.
It’s the one I come back to most now after ‘Tattoo’ and (of course) ‘Solo’ - I didn’t think much it at all at the time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom