Eurovision 2023 Hangover thread!

There were a few gems that weren't even runners-up but yes this year did seem to work out amazingly in the end.

I would have had a fair few national selections go in other directions, but yes strangely the actual runners up ended up being dire for the most part.

Of course, SOME OF US afflicted by the Third Eye foresaw Estonia in the top 10 (with all the ASSOCIATED RICHES) the second it qualified :disco:

Loreen is surely going to go for the treble at some point, isn’t she?

• Love
Reactions: Hak
Loreen is surely going to go for the treble at some point, isn’t she?
I’ve been surprised to see her very much not ruling it out at all in her post-win interviews. I think she’d really be pushing her luck as far as goodwill is concerned, but she could probably get away with it if it were ten years down the line and the song was musically in a whole other universe from Euphoria and Tattoo.

I would love to know where the hell everyone is getting this "most watched grand final ever" stat around from. Some of the contests in the 70s got 20+ million viewers in the UK.
Yes, but many of those viewers are dead now.

This year's Eurovision Song Contest has become the most watched since 1999, early viewing figures indicate. Featuring Blue and Jedward as the UK and Ireland entries, the event - eventually won by Azerbaijan - pulled in a colossal 9.54m (40.4%) between 8pm and 12am, peaking with 12.7m (62%) at 11pm. This is in stark contrast to last year's lowest ever UK audience of 5.5m. BBC One's strong evening sent ITV1's audience sinking, as Piers Morgan's Life Stories plummeted to a dismal 2.19m (8.8%) at 9pm. Britain's Got Talent, meanwhile, fell to a still-respectable 8.1m (32%) at 8pm with a further 260k on +1, then Britain's Got More Talent had 912k (3.7%) and 102k on timeshift.

That's pretty impressive, I didnt expect it to do into double figures.
There we go. Bizarre that 2011 managed a much higher peak than this year did from an overall figure that was the best part of a million smaller. But I guess this year didn't really have a big name with pulling power for total casuals that might not watch at all otherwise in the same way Jedward in the peak X Factor popularity years and Blue probably did.

There we go. Bizarre that 2011 managed a much higher peak than this year did from an overall figure that was the best part of a million smaller. But I guess this year didn't really have a big name with pulling power for total casuals that might not watch at all otherwise in the same way Jedward in the peak X Factor popularity years and Blue probably did.
I find the figures a little strange this year as well for the same reason - the fact that the peak was only a million more than the average for such a long show, when it was over three million (and a considerably higher peak with lower average) back then. Or I guess the average was just higher because more people watched for longer.

I did wonder if the level of coverage on the BBC the week before made some people who would normally have tuned in at some point of the final in any other year just think 'nah, fuck that'.

Last edited:
I find the figures a little strange this year as well for the same reason - the fact that the peak was only a million more than the average for such a long show, when it was over three million (and a considerably higher peak with lower average) back then. Or I guess the average was just higher because more people watched for longer.

I did wonder if the level of coverage on the BBC the week before made some people who would normally have tuned in at some point of the final in any other year just think 'nah, fuck that'.
Or perhaps it made a higher proportion of viewers than usual make an active decision to watch as opposed to dipping in and out or channel-hopping.

Or perhaps it made a higher proportion of viewers than usual make an active decision to watch as opposed to dipping in and out or channel-hopping.
Yes, I edited that in. But doesn't that still mean that less people were interested overall? And I find it that hard to think it was all driven by Jedward and Blue.

Yes, I edited that in. But doesn't that still mean that less people were interested overall? And I find it that hard to think it was all driven by Jedward and Blue.
I remember the perceived wisdom at the time being that it was driven by Jedward and Blue, as it was a bit of a spike that year, but it's hard to say.

Out of interest, how do the ratings account for communal screenings in bars, cinemas, outdoors etc? Presumably there were more of those than ever this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom