Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 8 - Greece, Finland, Israel & Azerbaijan RESULTS

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳
Pronouns
Any
You wanted bangers again? EAST WE GO. Voting is open until 5pm Wednesday 9th February

ISRAEL

1920px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png

Three-time winners as the traditionally Western contest's immaculately sync-choreographed bit of rough on the side during much of the Cold War, results-wise the 00s were a bit of a rum stretch for Israel. As a rule, when they pulled it out with a ballad they usually qualified, and outside of that...well, we've got probably the most jawdropping opener of any playlist round we're likely to have :D

2000: PingPong - Sameach
2001: Tal Sondak - En davar
2002: Sarit Hadad - Light a Candle
2003: Lior Narkis - Words for Love
2004: David D'Or - Leha'amin
2005: Shiri Maimon - Hasheket shenish'ar
2006: Eddie Butler - Together We Are One
2007: Teapacks - Push the Button
2008: Bo'az Ma'uda - The Fire In Your Eyes
2009: Noa & Mira Awad - There Must Be Another Way

NUL POINTS

Last edited:
GREECE
1200px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png

OK fine, Israel wasn't exactly the most stacked round of bangers - here's where it really gets started though. Similarly to Turkey, Greece had been around in the contest since the 70s but hadn't really made a great deal of themselves, with only two top 5 finishes between their debut in 1974 and 2000 (though relegation saw them out of the contest for 1999 and financial reasons kept them out for 2000). That all changed this decade, with three podium finishes and their very first win - and, once the semi era got going, an unbroken stretch of seven top tens in a row. Much as the 2010s were Sweden's decade, this was Greece's. Enjoy :disco:

2001: Antique - Die For You
2002: Michalis Rakintzis - S.A.G.A.P.O.
2003: Mando - Never Let You Go
2004: Sakis Rouvas - Shake It
2005: Helena Paparizou - My Number One
2006: Anna Vissi - Everything
2007: Sarbel - Yassou Maria
2008: Kalomoira - Secret Combination
2009: Sakis Rouvas - This Is Our Night

NUL POINTS

FINLAND
2560px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png

The previous Portuguese runts of the contest - racking up 45 years not just without a win, but without a single top 5 at all - Finland broke their duck in style this decade. Relegations saw them out for 2001 and 2003. Dodgy start, but this lot takes a real turn for the fabulous towards the back half :disco:

2000: Nina Åström - A Little Bit
2002: Laura Voutilainen - Addicted To You
2004: Jari Silanpää - Takes 2 To Tango
2005: Geir Ronning - Why?
2006: Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah
2007: Hanna Pakarinen - Leave Me Alone
2008: Teräsbetoni - Missä miehet ratsastaa
2009: Waldo's People - Lose Control

NUL POINTS

Last edited:
AZERBAIJAN
2560px-Flag_of_Azerbaijan.svg.png

Just the two here from this decade's last Caucasian debutantes. Say what you will about the Azeris, but they certainly got the point of the contest straight out the gate...

2008: Elnur & Samir - Day After Day
2009: Aysel & Arash - Always

NUL POINTS

Yes you may notice you now have TWO weeks to vote - voting has really taken a hit lately, so hopefully a longer voting window should get more of you BACK ON BOARD

I don’t appreciate thinly veiled threats designed to influence my votes. Quite frankly you’re no better than a Tory whip at this point.

The video for Finland 2002 is wrong. I can’t imagine I’m missing much.

Always is PEAK Azerbaijan for me. Pure fun.

Souk (and tits) out front and centre.

I heard you were rating late-00s Finnish entries.

It's been years since I've heard many of these.

Who's starting their listens on this this weekend? You've got ten days (until 4pm GMT on Tuesday 8th February) and voting turnout has cratered recently, so hopefully a longer deadline and a set of bangers means we can get as many of you back as possible :disco:

@RJN, @Tisch, @Music, @David 5000, @Ill Advised, @auretz, @Diddy, @Kratz, @Broomhelga, @dmlaw, @ZenGiraffe, @Kevin7, @Haiku, @PopLife, @Jacques, @Madison, @Ag, @Apocalypt Flyer, @Dark Carnival, @ButterTart, @Raining On Me, @VoR, @Tetris-Rock, @Soldi, @AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA, @Zu 2, @Kevin, @Karma, @lolly, @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid

Is he (still) a big name celeb in Greece?!
Not really, he doesn't live here and the last we've heard of him was back then.
It seems that after Eurovision he went back to London where he's from originally and stopped singing and then married to a Lebanese girl.
He's half Lebanese himself but since his accent is Cypriot I've always assumed the other parent must be British Cypriot.

I've done Israel but then I got stuck with Greece cause I felt my personal feelings about the singers were affecting my judgement about the songs.

I’ve readied the spreadsheet and pre-ranked the ones I know well enough.

Just need to slog though Tarty’s endless NF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom