Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 8 - Greece, Finland, Israel & Azerbaijan RESULTS

Well, which ones do you have the strongest positive/negative feelings about and why?

I'm always interested to hear a local perspective about the more well-known artists.

Well, which ones do you have the strongest positive/negative feelings about and why?

I'm always interested to hear a local perspective about the more well-known artists.
100%! I wish we had an @Alla for every country

2001: Antique - Die For You
They were basically unknown back then, I remember googling them up some time before (when they released Opa Opa here) to see if they had any connection to the country cause Helena's accent was akward and it was obvious they were from abroad. At the time Die for you was released I was in the UK and at the night of the contest this was a huge hit in our student halls and I remember me and a bunch of kids ecstatic and voting like crazy for her. In vain though cause she only got a 7 from the UK. And then having to endure the rollercoaster of actually doing well for once and the letdown of having our most ethnic flavoured yet western friendly and approachable entry of all times, losing to the contest's worst winner ever, to that monstrosity of a song that I still absolutely detest and will never understand what it was that people saw in it. Losing to Je n'ai que mon âme or even Dile que la quiero would have feel fair and understandable, but this just wasn't. So overall this has been a somewhat traumatic experience (the rest of my other favourites of the night Hano and En Davar got severely massacred). By the time the contest had ended, I (and pretty much everyone I knew) felt that this would remain to be our best placing for eternity.
If I think of the song in terms of now, I think it has an element of corniness and that it has aged quite a lot, I rarely listen to it, but I still think it deserved to be a contender for the win back then much more than the first two were.

Last edited:
2002: Michalis Rakintzis - S.A.G.A.P.O.
Poor Michalis. I don't know why but I have a soft spot for him. He had a few hits in the late 80s maybe up to the early 90s (like this one). He was basically making this weird eccentric computerized electro pop/rock type of music which wasn't my cup of tea at all, but I have to recognize that he has always been honest and dedicated to the sort of music he liked to do. Despite being rumored to be crazily rich, his videos were putting me off more than his songs, cause he was always going for either weird extremely cheap productions or random visuals of him driving his helicopter or weird home-made looking graphs but they were never the interestingly eccentric kind of thing. Anyways, the song was selected through a NF that he won and lead to a little drama, as one of the other singers (a very young Peggy Zina) started doing TV interviews about how unfair the selection was, badmouthing him and saying that it should have been her who got the ticket to Tallinn. She, later on, got to grow up though and eventually became a very decent and successful vocalist working with great composers and all. But to be honest all the songs and performances were terrible in that NF, hers included so I never understood why was she so pissed about it. Back to the song in question, I never liked it, no one that I know did, so I guess that some of my sympathy for him comes from the fact that he really was alone out there and he was well aware of it. No one was rooting for him back home and of course his result was very much understandable and expected.
If I think of the song in terms of now, I still don't like it and would never listen to it unless I was forced to.

Last edited:
S.A.G.A.P.O is one of those wonderful entries where pretty much ever element is so astoundingly wrong, you wonder how it ever came into existence. :D

A sympathy vote for an ageing has-been sounds about right. But my word, the competition must have been ghastly for it to win a national selection!

2003: Mando - Never Let You Go
Mando was also a has-been when she did Eurovision. She has had lots of hits in the late 80s early 90s, as a matter of fact, I think it would be fair to say that Mando and Alexia (Cyprus 1987 / Aspro Mavro) were the two high priestesses of early greek teen pop. Daughter of an opera soprano and a Berklee alumna herself, she has always been a competent vocalist. But the problem with doing teen pop is that you can't do it forever. So as the years went by and she had kids etc she gradually kind of fell into oblivion. She continued to write songs though and somewhere around 2000 I think she co-wrote a song for Jessica Simpson which was sth that helped her to regain some exposure. Consequently, her Eurovision bid followed and I think that this was more of an attempt to capitalize on that exposure than wanting to do Eurovision per se. And judging by the type of song that Never Let You Go is, I believe that it must have been sitting in her drawers for years as a Jessica Simpson's reject. While I find the song completely inappropriate for Eurovision, in the sense that if you told me that this was representing Massachusetts State I would believe it, I think that if it was taken out of the Eurovision context it's a decent song with some good qualities in it, but somewhat formulaic and unimpressive. It wasn't my personal favourite on its NF and it did pretty much like I thought it would on the contest. But I have lots of love for Mando. These days she's starring in a chocolate commercial with a short version of one of her greatest early hits.

Coming to think about it she was always active in the advertising jingles industry. This is a milk jingle of hers from the 90s.

Last edited:
Loving these write ups @Queen of the Bay

For what it is worth, I adore bonkers S.A.G.A.P.O but I have to remind myself it is from 2002 and not 1982

Last edited:
2004: Sakis Rouvas - Shake It
Well Sakis is one of the very few who have done Eurovision at the peak of their careers but like most of them, he did it with a song much inferior to the songs that he was singing up to that time. Never been a fan of him personally, but I have to admit I've bought one of his albums, the one that was written by Evridiki's (Cyprus 1992, 1994, 2007) ex-husband (both of them Berklee alumni as well). Am not entirely sure how Sakis got involved with singing and music, I know that he was a pole vault athlete as a youngster (a good one) and at some point he got this manager who somehow planted him in the music industry and suddenly he was everywhere. Then there were rumours that the two of them had an affair, then he got engaged or married to a Taiwanese girl, then he got divorced, then he tried to avoid his military duty by claiming he has agoraphobia, then all hell broke loose (because how could he be doing public performances but couldn't sleep in a dorm with a dozen of other men), then he got admitted to a military's psychiatric clinic for evaluation, then there were reports that he committed suicide and then he finally served his duty, sacked his manager and married the best looking model there was and made an army of children. Phewww, the DRAMA! Having said all that when it comes to the NF there's even more. Sakis did not win a national final, instead ERT who was running an artist selection show decided it didn't like the guy who won the selection process and instead planted Sakis in the place of him. The song was revealed later on so we were basically told this will be it guys, deal with it. And we dealt with it and I think this was the first time we got a video that was kind of acceptable instead of the usual ERT zero budget ones. I don't think there is a lot to say about the song, it kind of starts pleasant but then gets annoyingly repetitive. No one expected that it will do as well as it did, so this was a big surprise and I suspect it's because of the success of this song, Die for You and My Number One that ERT began to send the same song with different artists year after year thereafter.

My lovelies I will do the rest tomorrow or later on cause am worried am going to miss ButterTart's heat.

Last edited:
I've just noticed that the Sakis video I hyperlinked was directed by George Lanthimos (of Dogtooth, The Lobster, The Killing of a Sacred Deer etc).

2004: Sakis Rouvas - Shake It
Well Sakis is one of the very few who have done Eurovision at the peak of their careers but like most of them, he did it with a song much inferior to the songs that he was singing up to that time. Never been a fan of him personally, but I have to admit I've bought one of his albums, the one that was written by Evridiki's (Cyprus 1992, 1994, 2007) ex-husband (both of them Berklee alumni as well). Am not entirely sure how Sakis got involved with singing and music, I know that he was a pole vault athlete as a youngster (a good one) and at some point he got this manager who somehow planted him in the music industry and suddenly he was everywhere. Then there were rumours that the two of them had an affair, then he got engaged or married to a Taiwanese girl, then he got divorced, then he tried to avoid his military duty by claiming he has agoraphobia, then all hell broke loose (because how could he be doing public performances but couldn't sleep in a dorm with a dozen of other men), then he got admitted to a military's psychiatric clinic for evaluation, then there were reports that he committed suicide and then he finally served his duty, sacked his manager and married the best looking model there was and made an army of children. Phewww, the DRAMA! Having said all that when it comes to the NF there's even more. Sakis did not win a national final, instead ERT who was running an artist selection show decided it didn't like the guy who won the selection process and instead planted Sakis in the place of him. The song was revealed later on so we were basically told this will be it guys, deal with it. And we dealt with it and I think this was the first time we got a video that was kind of acceptable instead of the usual ERT zero budget ones. I don't think there is a lot to say about the song, it kind of starts pleasant but then gets annoyingly repetitive. No one expected that it will do as well as it did, so this was a big surprise and I suspect it's because of the success of this song, Die for You and My Number One that ERT began to send the same song with different artists year after year thereafter.

My lovelies I will do the rest tomorrow or later on cause am worried am going to miss ButterTart's heat.
Why has this not been made into a film?! :D

House of Rouvas

2005: Helena Paparizou - My Number One
I was serving my military duty during this time and I remember trying to get permission to spend the night at my home for the NF and the actual Eurovision contest dates cause in the army you can't just do whatever you want anytime you want. Fortunately, permissions were granted so I've watched all of it from my home. Helena had become a huge local star by then so ERT was running an NF based on her and all we had to do was to vote for one of the songs that were written for this. So she was extremely popular and likeable to the public (she had perfected the accent but was still making lots of minor grammar and syntax mistakes when talking which made her irresistibly cute and accessible) and the songs were all good, so spirits and public expectations were high. I don't think that My Number One was my favourite of the lot but to quote my mom "it doesn't matter what song she'll sing, give her to sing the telephone book and be sure she'll make a hit out of it". So the night of the contest came, she looked radiant, the act looked (I think) professional and polished for the era's standards, and we were all wishing for a top 5 placing, thinking that if it didn't happen in 2001, it really will never happen. And yet somehow it did which I think was a huge shock not just for me but for pretty much everyone.
The song again is not one that I will listen to outside of a Eurovision context nowadays, because she really has had lots of much better songs than this, but it still has its charm.

Last edited:
2006: Anna Vissi - Everything
So in 2006 ERT was the host broadcaster and while it was clear they didn't want to host again twice in a row, i assume there must have been some political pressure to do well in their own court. So who would be their safest bet? And who was enjoying a status big enough that would lift of their shoulders any blame and scrutiny from the rest of the media if it didn't work out? A suicide mission for my lovely, poor, old Eurovision veteran, Anna Vissi. In short country's most popular female singer. So ERT held an NF where Anna would sing 4 songs, two that were written by ERT-appointed composers while Everything and one more were written by her ex-husband. By watching the NF it was beyond obvious that the only song she wanted to do this with, was Everything. So people went en masse for it. The song itself wasn't bad and probably was the best of the 4, but as in Mando's case it was a song that could have come from anywhere. If you had told me Steven Tyler wrote it for Aerosmith I would have believed it. It didn't matter much though cause in the coming days the song grew on everyone. The contest performance is a little emotional to watch because we all knew she was really ill on the night, I remember they were doing injections on her because there was not enough time to physically get better, so the whole stadium was singing the song along to show her that she's not alone and I think you can tell how humbled she was by that. Anyways she pulled it off quite professionally, I don't think anyone who was unaware of her illness or how she usually sounds would have understood she was ill. And she came 9th securing another top 10 finish and guaranteeing Sarbel didn't have to go through the semis the next year. So one would expect all ended well. Only it didn't. While ERT didn't have to face any criticism at the end at all, Anna was torn apart and crucified by some part of the press who were calling her derogatory "the 9th", "a failure " along with some nasty remarks about her age. I guess that to a certain extent she must have been affected by all this so in my mind this could have been why she moved to the US after the contest. I can't remember how long she stayed there, probably a couple of years, but upon return, she released what I think was one of her best albums. And she's still in the business to this day. Am not sure the same applies to the people that went after her.

Last edited:
Calling 9th a failure - especially when they were a. determined not to win and b. that was still one of the BETTER RESULTS Greece had ever had - is utterly insane! I do recall from the time that there was a lot of expectation and Greek online street teaming around it though

Everything just feels like a waste of Anna Vissi TBH. She's fantastic, but the song is of the quality of a 2005 Anastacia B-side.

I didn't realise she was sick. I remember rumours at the time that she was lip syncing because her vocal was so suspiciously good, so if that was her on an off-day then good for her indeed!

I've just realised that actually, over the years, faceless ballads/pop that could have come from anywhere has become something of a backup BRAND for the Greeks when they aren't getting out the bouzouki...

I still love Everything. The song is basic but that performance is really one of the true “superstar” moments from Eurovision history.

I know she was beaten by Carola in the end but actually her performance of Everything kind of served to make Invincible a bit cold and sterile in comparison a few songs later.

Speaking of Carola I remember that the press tried to devise a supposed rivalry between Anna and Carola, but it was short-lived cause Carola went to see Anna in the club she was performing some days later, Anna asked her to get on the stage and sing with her, and she did.

2007: Sarbel - Yassou Maria
Little Sarbel in his gray pajamas :D. I have no idea how Sarbel ended up here from London and how he got involved in the music business. He basically emerged just before Ya sou Maria in a duet that he did with Irene Merkouri, a girl of Romani descent (who I wished to see in Eurovision someday) on a cover of a folk Tunisian song where Sarbel sings the arabic parts (he's half Lebanese). The song was this one:

It was a massive hit. And then he had another hit with a somewhat lesser song and then out of nowhere he ended up on the NF selection beating the likes of TAMTA :disco: and the guy who wrote the music to My Number One (who originally is a singer/songwriter). I didn't vote for Sarby and was severely pissed when he won. Not about him who I thought was adorable but about the song that I thought was incorporating every bit that was found to be successful in the previous entries and exploiting it in a pimped manner to the point of death and unintentional parody. But what did I know? :D Little Sarbel brought home another top 10 managing to maintain the strike. So while I actively hated the song when it was released, when I watch it now it just makes me giggle throughout. And sometimes not everything has to be about quality and all that. There's value in having some shameless fun. And I think this one did just that.

Last edited:
Watching the performances, Sarbel seems very amateur after Greece sent three bona-fide megastars in a row from 2004-2006. But he also seems like he's having the time of his little gay life, which goes a long way with me.

*awaits QOTB update that he's now a father of 12 on his third wife*

2008: Kalomoira - Secret Combination
Another one who I have in my heart. Kalomoira Carol Sarantis also came out of nowhere. Do you remember the time when the UK had the Fame Academy on with Sinead and Lemar etc? We've had the same thing, but since it was hosted in a channel that was being broadcasted in the US and Canada for the diaspora, it got applications from there too. One of these applicants was barely legal years old Kalomoira Carol, a girl from Long Island, who was the youngest in the Academy, couldn't even speak a full sentence in greek, fucked up the lyrics in every song she was given to sing, added irrelevant and unasked for Britneyish style vocals to the most traditional of the songs and so on. Yet she won :D. So she went on to have a smashing teen pop first album and following that she was in the next NF winning it with a landslide not only because she had the catchiest song, but because people already loved her. Hopes and expectations though were really low, because at the same time everyone thought that the only award she would be coming home with, and this at the very best of chances, would be the Miss Congeniality one. So it was a big and pleasant shock when she went through her semi with that confidence because all in all she was still basically a kid and one of the least established and totally inexperienced artists we've ever had. The same pretty much applies for the Final, I mean there was growing optimism, but 3rd place was beyond everyone's wildest dreams, a totally unexpected result and I will never understand how, but she made it look easy. Maybe it was because being an American meant she was clueless about how big this was. The blissfulness of the ignorance sort of thing. I don't know. On a personal note I find her remarkably kind and cute as a person. Sadly she is not very active for many years now, she went back to the US and got married and had 42 children. But she's still very young and she has said repeatedly that she wants to give it another shot and that she's keeping a song just for that. We'll see.

Last edited:
And finally 2009: Sakis Rouvas - This Is Our Night.
I don't know why but ERT thought it was a good time to send Sakis again, so they decided to hold an NF in order to select which one of the three Kontopoulos :rolleyes: songs to send. I don't remember any of the other two songs at all, which is a testimony that they were even worse, so This Is Our Night won. While I think technically this is a much better song than Shake it, there's something about it that just leaves me cold. I don't remember if I liked it back then, but I find it to be among the most unmemorable of the lot. Not to mention that it probably lead to the long run of endless Kontopoulos entries we get to see year after year. I think the expectations were high for this back then, not only because the local media always exaggerate the possibilities but because Sakis really wanted it badly and I think you can totally see it through his performance, it comes through. But it wasn't meant to be. My personal opinion is that it actually did better than it deserved to do, possibly because he did a good job at selling it. Am not sure if it was right after this, but then Sakis tried to be an actor too, and he co-starred in one of the early movies of the "greek weird cinema", the movie is called Chevalier if anyone's curious, I still haven't found the courage to watch it after all these years.

These days he tries to be a tv-host too, he did a little documentary series lately that wasn't bad, and he is a judge at The Voice (along with Helena). The latest drama which made the headlines here and caused mayhem on twitter is that the cost for a 13minutes gig that he did for Athens New Year's Eve celebrations was somewhere close to 250k.

Last edited:
I loved Kalomoira’s first album! I randomly heard it and bought a pirate copy of it on holiday in Zante in 2006 so was delighted when she showed up at Eurovision a few years later.

I’ve never warmed to Secret Combination though, I’ve always found it a bit lightweight, and I was surprised it got such a positive response.

I used to resent Secret Combination a tad for doing as well as it did, but in retrospect it's a total banger. I'd kill for something like that from Greece today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom