Steps - Something In Your Eyes

WILL IT BE NOW AND FOREVER?

• Total voters
I like this, and I'm happy that they've calmed down the FRANTIC ENERGY of the original (that Jenny Silver clearly had a tough time keep up with :D)

My main ISSUE is how SOMEBODY in the band pronounces the word TWICE. It's particularly bad at about 2.02 where "twice" becomes "TWAAAACE"
I'm blaming LISA SCOTT LEE, as the dulcet tones of the TWAACE mis-pronunciation sounds VERY SIMILAR to her horrible ad-libs towards the end of the song :eyes:

Anyway, regardless of that SONG RUINING moment. It's great a random old schlager song is being resurfaced on the UK's biggest radio station's A-List :D
I prefer What The Future Holds, but this is GREAT SILLY FUN!

I like this, and I'm happy that they've calmed down the FRANTIC ENERGY of the original (that Jenny Silver clearly had a tough time keep up with :D)

My main ISSUE is how SOMEBODY in the band pronounces the word TWICE. It's particularly bad at about 2.02 where "twice" becomes "TWAAAACE"
I'm blaming LISA SCOTT LEE, as the dulcet tones of the TWAACE mis-pronunciation sounds VERY SIMILAR to her horrible ad-libs towards the end of the song :eyes:

Anyway, regardless of that SONG RUINING moment. It's great a random old schlager song is being resurfaced on the UK's biggest radio station's A-List :D
I prefer What The Future Holds, but this is GREAT SILLY FUN!

I hadn't noticed this before, it seems like they just randomly put LSL to the front of the mix for that one word of the second chorus. For Lisa, every single word that she gets to sing lead on counts.

Just as long as she remembers that QUEEN FAYE is SECOND LEAD mind.

SORRY ALL if this has RUINED the song for you :D I just can't UNHEAR it!

TBH if it wasn't for QUEEN FAYE, and Lee visually, I'd struggle to get on board with this lot as personalities.
I know SOME GAYS champion her, but Lisa Scott Lee basically REPULSES ME, and this mispronunciation of DOOM has just underlined this repulsion as absolute IN MY OPINION!

You can just imagine LSL gormlessly blinking in the recording booth delivering TWAAACE over and over again, no matter how many times it's explained to her how "twice" is pronounced can't you :eyes:

Must be her DUBAI meets WELSH ACCENT!

TBH if it wasn't for QUEEN FAYE, and Lee visually, I'd struggle to get on board with this lot as personalities.
I know SOME GAYS champion her, but Lisa Scott Lee basically REPULSES ME, and this mispronunciation of DOOM has just underlined this repulsion as absolute IN MY OPINION!
Totally. Glad that the relentless stanning because "sheer desperation" and "B List at Capital" hasn't infected ALL queens.

Totally. Glad that the relentless stanning because "sheer desperation" and "B List at Capital" hasn't infected ALL queens.

Surely B LIST AT CAPITAL (and PASTA A LA CLARA) were/was legit 25 years ago by now?

About time we all GRITTED OUR TEETH and hope CHERRY RED RECORDS come knocking for Never Or Now FINAL EDITION eh :horny:

Last edited:
I told you there was a lot of LSL on the chorus and NO ONE LISTENED TO ME.

Anyway, I love the song now and I must be one of the few not familiar with the original. At first it seemed a bit too basic and cheesy, like Story Of A Heart jacked up to the max, then I had a good long look at myself and asked myself why on EARTH that would be a BAD thing.

I love how it goes back to sounding like a Steps single of old, something they've generally avoided on the whole since the comeback.

It is BONKERS when you think that Scared Of The Dark wasn't their ACTUAL comeback. It was sort of COMEBACK PART 2 wasn't it?

What did they even DO first time around? An anaemic Dancing Queen cover and that MORBID Christmas album? WHO was even managing them at that time :D
They've done such a good job to basically erase ALL MEMORIES of that period.

I was only haphazardly half-listening while putting together a coat stand earlier and I still heard twaace loud and clear :oi:

It is BONKERS when you think that Scared Of The Dark wasn't their ACTUAL comeback. It was sort of COMEBACK PART 2 wasn't it?

What did they even DO first time around? An anaemic Dancing Queen cover and that MORBID Christmas album? WHO was even managing them at that time :D
#Justice4LightUpTheWorld

The twaaaace culprit is definitely still Claire, and it’s not much better first time around either.

It really was so mis-judged. Dancing Queen was fine as a bonus track to promote the reunion, but the Christmas album and tour was so totally cashing in but I don't know who it was meant to appeal to. Maybe a disco Xmas album would have worked ok, but a largely ballad affair from Steps? Nah.

Job done though. I had to Google it to remind myself it happened after wurst posted.

It felt like a massively wasted opportunity, squandering all the goodwill of the reunion.

Fortunately they turned it around, and how! :disco:

I spent 49p on that shit Christmas album a few years later. Never played it.

Looks like it goes for half decent cash on discogs now though...

I still really like Light Up The World as a song, but Christ the accompanying album was DEPRESSING. I mean seriously, who was asking for a Steps Christmas album that makes you want to kill yourself?

You can tell that the whole idea of assuming that people wanted an album of Christmas ballads from Steps was flimsily built solely upon the fact that Heartbeat gets played on all the music video channels at Christmas. And unfortunately no one involved really took a moment to think about it beyond that.

Though yes, Light Up The World is a gorgeous song - better than Words Are Not Enough, for example. But years on, it's still Heartbeat that gets rinsed at Christmas, rather than their actual Christmas single!

From the Royal Variety PERF, goes out on the 8th Dec

EoBLa_bXIAI4WXz

Reactions: VoR
Oh Claire was looking so glam in the video but this clown trousers thing she’s got going on isn’t working for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom