Tennis 2023

Read some of the Halep report. They wanted a 6 year ban apparently. It also looks like systematic doping on a bigger scale than I imagined designed to peak at slams.

Read some of the Halep report. They wanted a 6 year ban apparently. It also looks like systematic doping on a bigger scale than I imagined designed to peak at slams.

I wanted help making sense of this - the publication of the report helps a bit, do we believe that she was intentionally doping. Do you? Does @Apoca?

All I will say is that I don't think it's a coincidence that the timeline of the doping case(s) pretty much goes hand in hand with her dropping everyone around her (manager, husband, physio, coach, long-time advisors etc) in 2022 and making a deal with the de-, I mean, Mouratoglou.

I am convinced she made some grave errors of judgement and now she's left with more repercussions than she could've imagined.

It's not an over-the-counted cough syrup case anymore, so "intention" isn't going to tip the scales very much. The data and the passport tell the story IMO.

Last edited:
In short I don’t believe a highly successful professional athlete in their 30s would be unaware of what they are putting into their body over such a period of time especially since it originated,apparently, from some unknown warehouse in China.

Also this narrative that she’s nice and hardworking so it must be the evil men in the background responsible doesn’t cut it for me either, she’s not an impressionable youngster a la Karatantcheva.

Also this narrative that she’s nice and hardworking so it must be the evil men in the background responsible doesn’t cut it for me either, she’s not an impressionable youngster a la Karatantcheva.

I agree, you cannot place the blame on everyone else and not the athlete in the light of the accusations leveraged against her.

Having said that (and this is not in her defense), she gulped down the Mouratoglou koolaid like crazy in 2022. I remember leaving Rome with a queasy feeling watching them practice a couple of times and everything about that "partnership" felt off. Nothing good was gonna come out of it - but I didn't think it was gonna be this bad.

All I will say is that I don't think it's a coincidence that the timeline of the doping case(s) pretty much goes hand in hand with her dropping everyone around her (manager, husband, physio, coach, long-time advisors etc) in 2022 and making a deal with the de-, I mean, Mouratoglou.

I am convinced she made some grave errors of judgement and now she's left with more repercussions than she could've imagined.

It's not an over-the-counted cough syrup case anymore, so "intention" isn't going to tip the scales very much. The data and the passport tell the story IMO.

How are we tennis novices to understand her deal with the de-, sorry, Mouratoglou when he also coached Serena for ages?

"Coaching"/Coaching Serena improved his profile considerably, there was more in it for him than for her, I would say. Plus Serena's entourage wasn't "just" Mouratoglou, whereas Halep was all in.

Still, just look at his behaviour at the US Open finals 2018 and the subsequent fallout. In my opinion there's a pattern of him thinking that his actions are right and the rules are wrong. So many red flags - none that have pointed to his charges doping (until now) - but red flags nonetheless.

Yes, pretty much what I was going to say. He’s been involved with many players over the years, most recently Rune. Some called the shots more than others. Serena was the boss with a full familar established team around her which he was given a place within. Simona basically removed her support networks, you could argue dodgy on her behalf if she didn’t want their influence on a route she was maybe planning to take or not but that’s mere speculation.

She has literally removed him from her team this year but he's out here chasing clout and credit. :eyes::eyes::eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom