The Celebration Tour 2023 (Greatest Hits)

Yes, she was almost an hour late.

I feel a bit mixed about the show.

Oddly, I think I would have preferred more talking from her, and more stripped-down moments. Die Another Day was spectacular. La Isla Bonita went off, which surprised me. I wish she had given more room to Like a Prayer. I Will Survive felt faintly ridiculous as French people sing it at national football matches, so it didn't quite have the gay pathos it would elsewhere. I was the least into the 80s section, which felt silly and too far removed from her these days. She clearly has a lot of love for the Erotica and American Life albums. She is her own stan.

There was a tinge of sadness about it all - I suppose I couldn't shake the fact that this would be her last big tour. There were times where you could see how tough it was on her.

But that back cat. You can't deny it.

In an era where Taylor Swift is Queen, we were lucky to have Madonna.

La Isla Bonita went off because it was absolutely massive in France. It might even be her biggest hit there.

It's one of those songs EVERYONE covers on those dreadful "Nuit des années 80" shows the French seem to love. Alizée had a bash at it once, I recall.

La Isla Bonita was probably the noisiest song in terms of audience participation in Lisbon too.

Ugh I am already counting the days to Amsterdam

@Jark - will you be there for the Friday show? We're there the whole weekend if you want to meet up? x

I saw her last night for her last show in Paris. I will take back every bad thing I said about her, what a QUEEN, what a show! :disco:

I loved all the tributes to the gays and past icons, a grateful queen! La Isla Bonita went off again last night and was a total highlight. So was Hung Up.

The lack of Frozen however… not cute.

never gave my review but it was excellent :disco: she had energy, was in great spirits (the crown didn't get her banter at all which made it even funnier), looked fabulous, the production itself is stunning (the RoL box!!!), great mixes across the board...

I absolutely got my life to the section with Die Another Day (went down like a damp squib), Don't Tell Me (took the fucking roof off), Mother and Father, I Will Survive (gorgeous) and La Isla Bonita (the crowd's fave of the show). Don't Tell Me was quite a spiritual experience. WHAT A SONG! obsessed with the cowboy get-up. :disco:

the finale was definitely a bit RANDOM, she should've had Ray of Light as the closer, but overall a brilliant show. mom's still got it.

Rumour has it some Jan US shows are postponed maybe because according to rumours her dad has passed away

Now it’s apparently a false alarm- Guy has retweeted TMZ who say the shows go on.

Weird.

Rocco is looking a lot like Christopher Ciccone these days. Maybe it's the chest hair. Picture 7. Sadly Madge looks like a teapot again in said image :disco:

Can anyone shed light on social media gossip I've seen that she's rehearsed Frozen instead of Rain for the Toronto setlist? They also claim it was intended to be in the list from day 1 but Rain was a last minute replacement

Rain was replaced with Frozen last night I believe but it’s that awful TikTok remix
I don’t feel I missed out on it as the Rain versions I saw were lovely and I doubt she will ever do Rain again on tour
And Frozen was one of the highlights of the Madame X tour so I was happy for her to retire it on this tour

Rain was replaced with Frozen last night I believe but it’s that awful TikTok remix
I don’t feel I missed out on it as the Rain versions I saw were lovely and I doubt she will ever do Rain again on tour
And Frozen was one of the highlights of the Madame X tour so I was happy for her to retire it on this tour
Oh yes I don't regret missing a TikTok version. Hung Up on Tokischa was OK as straying from the original canon, but that's as far it goes for me

I thought Rain was lovely and whilst I like the TikTok version mix thingy, not sure it has quite the right impact with that perf. So I am glad I saw Rain, but I did think it was odd she missed out Frozen in the 'Celebration tour' as it was such a moment, despite her having performed it to death

I heard a lot of people complaining there had been no Frozen on the way out. The beat on the TikTok version sucks out the atmosphere of the song for me. But lest we forget she is 65, maybe it's what's needed to carry it forward. I'm still glad I got to see things live I never thought I would, e.g. Don't Tell Me, Live To Tell, Mother and Father. And Rain.

She doesn't really have to move for Frozen too much so I am not sure that particular song would mean her changing it for those reasons as she is 65?

I know this was a while ago at this point, but this was a jaw-drop moment for me - so gorgeous all 65+ year olds suddenly found the strength to perform capeography with their dressing gowns, or at least for a few seconds.

OIP (17).jpg

I was thinking more about the vocals being exposed rather than the physicality of it but I really shouldn't have brought the age into it

To be fair, it’s not like she isn’t having a RIGHT GOOD MIME at other points in the concert for that not to matter…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom