The HOTLY ANTICIPATED 2022 Christmas Number One thread

I do feel like the Pogues and now this year Leona seem to ‘struggle’ slightly in comparison to what they used to do. The folks at Buzzjack chalk it up to playlists favouring the US tunes hence some of this classics now do better than more UK centric tracks.

I think it absolutely is this.

Bobby Helms is currently top 10 in the midweeks. I'd wager that his track isn't actually more beloved in the UK than Band Aid, Slade or Shakin Stevens. But he is positioned fourth on Spotify's main Christmas playlist.

Leona meanwhile is 27th in the order.

Last edited:
I think it absolutely is this.

Bobby Helms is currently top 10 in the midweeks. I'd wager that his track isn't actually more beloved in the UK than Band Aid, Slade or Shakin Stevens. But he is positioned fourth on Spotify's main Christmas playlist.

Leona meanwhile is 27th in the order.
I don't think most people in the UK could name who Jingle Bell Rock was by even now. That song has been made a hit (in the UK at least) pretty much entirely due to Spotify.

Interestingly it's not even in the iTunes top 100, despite about 40 other Christmas tracks being in it.

And once again, the charts are destroyed by playlists.

Why do they still refuse to do anything about it? That random number one (was it Ellie Goulding?) of that entirely unpopular song that has subsequently been entirely forgotten, just because it was first on Alexa’s playlist surely should have been a sign things needed to change.

Yep that was Ellie.

Bit like Elton and Ed this year. Their song is much more known but it is hardly top tier (evidenced by it being mid-teens on streaming and all metrics), but due to the ACR rule it is duking It out for #1 this week.

Yup Ellie Goulding's cover of River. The charts are a joke every December now. I tend to zone out from November until January.

Unless the streaming platforms are clever enough to differentiate between people actively selecting a song vs simply hitting play on a published playlist, I'm not sure what the chart compilers actually could do about it. They could disqualify Christmas songs of a certain age I guess, but that would just be another arbitrary rule obscuring things all the more.

Really I'm not sure there's much point in charts anymore. Nobody really pays much attention these days, songs can become hugely popular without even bothering the top 40, and it's essentially just a glorified airplay chart decided by a small handful of Spotify office interns instead of a Radio 1 playlist committee.

I will of course completely change my view when Stranger Things season 5 propels Su Pollard's "Starting Together" to number 1.

Wham have overtaken Mariah in the latest midweeks, although there are less than 200 equivalent sales in it.

It all seems largely irrelevant when we all know LadBaby will be #1 next week, though.

One year something else equally terrible will come along and break the LadBaby spell.

I'm not that much of a fan of Someday at Christmas anyway but Lizzo's version doesn't do anything for me. At least Maisie Peters bothered to write a song for her Amazon spot, even if the video is overly cute:

Not quite so much number one but A list on Radio 2:

Obviously nothing too inventive, but it is a cute little Ronettes/Darlene pastiche and PP does sound a bit like later Ronnie here and there.

God, there's something so dystopian about this. The change from 'feed the world' to 'feed the UK'. :zombie:

Maybe I'm missing a funny bone, but taking people's actual plight and turning into a jaunty "look at us, aren't we mad?", self-congratulatory music video doesn't sit right with me. Do we think people who are in the unfortunate position of having to use a food bank this Christmas will ACTUALLY appreciate this? Awful. I'm shocked Martin Lewis who a lot of people look up to and who really plays the role as serious money journalist on morning TV has agreed to this. (Good voice tho!)

Beyond awful.

Last year he got the real Elton and Sheeran. This year MARTIN LEWIS.

They should have got the newsreader of the same name.

Reactions: COB
I literally can't bring myself to listen to that. Thank god there's no Christmas TOTP this year so I'll never have to hear it even by accident.

Here for Sam to release a charity single to pay for all the euro gays tickets and hotels.

Maybe I'm missing a funny bone, but taking people's actual plight and turning into a jaunty "look at us, aren't we mad?", self-congratulatory music video doesn't sit right with me. Do we think people who are in the unfortunate position of having to use a food bank this Christmas will ACTUALLY appreciate this? Awful. I'm shocked Martin Lewis who a lot of people look up to and who really plays the role as serious money journalist on morning TV has agreed to this. (Good voice tho!)

It's worse than that - Martin Lewis is often used in fake adverts on social media, trying to lure idiots into Bitcoin scams. He's always maintained that he doesn't do adverts. Whilst this isn't an advert,. he is endorsing something outside of his usual role and that will make those scams more believable and will cost Britain's old dears and gullible gammons many many times over what the single could hope to raise.

They only raised £97k (!) for charity last year.

How much did they actually sell/stream though. Surely that amount would fall in line with streaming/sales in this climate? I think the songs are TERRIBLE BUT if it is all going to people who can’t afford to eat right now I am probably quite happy to endorse it.

Obviously if the majority of royalties to these songs is not going to charity then they MUST BE STOPPED.

So he's EARNED more than he's RAISED?

Surely his whole existence as a famous person is earn money for charity, that makes him a GRADE A CUNT.

So he's EARNED more than he's RAISED?

Surely his whole existence as a famous person is earn money for charity, that makes him a GRADE A CUNT.

I NEED RECEIPTS. I really want to call him a cunt for ruining Christmas number 1’s a la Cowell but if he is giving the majority to charity I have to hold back

£97k is pathetic compared to the greater impact they could have if they called out the Tory cunts in charge who are okay with there now being over 30 food banks in Nottingham alone.

And the song is disgustingly problematic.

We really need to make that gormless wacky smile illegal in photography.

Worth noting Brenda Lee, Michael Buble, Bobby Helms, Frank Sinatra, Sam Ryder, Burl Ives, Ava Max, and Priya Ragu all peaked with their respective Xmas hits.

But how is ‘Little Things’ doing in this year’s Christmas charts?

Worth noting Brenda Lee, Michael Buble, Bobby Helms, Frank Sinatra, Sam Ryder, Burl Ives, Ava Max, and Priya Ragu all peaked with their respective Xmas hits.
Is that from Music Week? Brenda Lee is equalling her peak last year, Michael Bublé is equalling the peak he achieved in 2018, 2020 and 2021, Frank Sinatra is 10 places lower than he managed last year, and both Sam Ryder and Priya Ragu were only released this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom