The HOTLY ANTICIPATED 2022 Christmas Number One thread

Can we expect midweeks tomorrow? I imagine the last of the Christmas parties will have been held Friday/Saturday so it'll be down to home playlists.

Can we expect midweeks tomorrow? I imagine the last of the Christmas parties will have been held Friday/Saturday so it'll be down to home playlists.

1 LadBaby - Food Aid
2 Wham! - Last Christmas
3 Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
4 Ed Sheeran & Elton John - Merry Christmas
5 Stormzy - Firebabe
6 Lizzo - Someday At Christmas
7 Raye feat. 070 Shake - Escapism
8 Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
9 The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York
10 Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

11 Central Cee - Let Go
12 The Kunts feat. Terry Edwards - F*ck The Tories
13 Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
14 Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
15 Elton John - Step Into Christmas
16 Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me
17 Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
18 Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree
19 Taylor Swift - Anti-Hero
20 Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas

FFS

Why can’t people just be normal and pledge money directly to charities. You don’t need to buy shit novelty records to do a good deed.

Wankers

The highest entry of the week after 38 hours, Food Aid has so far racked up 27,000 chart sales according to Official Charts Company data, predominantly driven by pre-orders and downloads, putting them 16,000 units ahead of the nearest competition on tonight’s Official Chart First Look.

Christmas classics from Wham! and Mariah Carey are set to close the gap sharply as the week progresses. Last Christmas (2) and All I Want For Christmas Is You (3) have each hit the top spot this December already, with their biggest week of streams still to come as the UK reaches peak festive fever ahead of the big day. Just 270 chart units separate the two on today’s Official Charts Company sales flash.

Trailing in third place after 48 hours is Ed Sheeran & Elton John’s successful 2021 bid to create a modern yuletide classic - Merry Christmas is less than 250 units behind queen of Christmas Mariah Carey.

Just 175 chart sales outside of the Top 10 resides this year’s sweary political campaign from The K**ts with F*ck The Tories (12)

Further down, touted as early race contenders Sidemen, the YouTube group featuring KSI, rise seven to Number 34 with Christmas Drillings.

16k isn’t huge, and streaming will close that, but I imagine they’ll pull out stops to ensure a #1. They won’t keep it next week with Friday to Sunday falling into it and being days you can get 4 million+ streams a day for Xmas songs.

Weirdly Mariah does better up until like last week, then Wham take over. I’m guessing something to do with Mariah being Queen of Xmas etc and when you want to start early you go for her but when the general public come on board it becomes a bit more Wham over her? always slightly weird to see the baton switched most years during the period.

What were Mariah's sales like a. last week and b. in the equivalent week to this week last year?

Weirdly Mariah does better up until like last week, then Wham take over. I’m guessing something to do with Mariah being Queen of Xmas etc and when you want to start early you go for her but when the general public come on board it becomes a bit more Wham over her? always slightly weird to see the baton switched most years during the period.
Yes, I find that interesting. She's above them on Spotify's biggest two Christmas playlists, but interestingly they were streaming better than her on Spotify even when she was #1 last week - so presumably she must be ahead on Apple & Amazon etc.

So I wonder if they are more actively sought to be listened to than she is?

So I wonder if they are more actively sought to be listened to than she is?

I reckon so. She's the very first on most playlists, so picks up an automatic play anytime anyone vaguely says "Alexa / Google / whatever play Christmas music". She's essentially the default Ellie Goulding now.

Obviously she'd still be hugely popular without the playlist placements, but I think she'd certainly be pipped by Wham, and very possibly the Pogues too.

OCC

Wham! and Mariah Carey begin to close the gap on LadBaby for 2022's Christmas Number 1.

According to the latest Official Charts Company data unveiled this morning, George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's festive classic Last Christmas has narrowed the gap by more than 3,000 units overnight in the race to become the UK's Official Christmas Number 1 2022.

As it stands, a first ever Christmas Number 1 single for Wham! could feasibly be in sight if their current streaming momentum holds up. Last Christmas is now just 13,000 chart units behind LadBaby's Food Aid, having added a further 8,500 units overnight to LadBaby's 5,100. Plus with more streaming data to arrive later this week that could propel the duo even closer, it's shaping up to be an exciting festive chart battle.

Queen of Christmas Mariah Carey is also firmly in with a shot at her first Christmas Number 1 victory, currently in third place just a little over 600 units behind Wham!

This means that while LadBaby are still in the lead for a record-breaking fifth consecutive Official Christmas Number 1 right now, that might all change as the race ticks on. Could a midweek upset be on its way?

I kind of resent Mariah being referred to as Queen of Christmas when George is RIGHT THERE.

Why does it matter that they get the number one? Surely as long as they are making a decent amount for charity then that should be enough.

The full length version of The Kunts song about him makes a few major allegations, the most serious being that he's a tax dodger. Is that true?

It also says that he fingers cats, hence my scepticism.

The Kunts have now issued 19 versions of "Fuck The T*ries". The latest one, popped out this morning is "Captain Tom's Ghost Joins The Kunts" and I am so desperate to hear it :D

40p on Bandcamp, 48p after VAT.

I see LadBaby dropped another version as well, which prevented Wham narrowing the gap any more.

Playing the Hot Pantz banger and wondering why this isn't racing up the UK chart every Christmas, better than most of the boring and miserable Xmas tracks in the playlists.

Ugh

Let's just hope that the sales trajectory is such that another year is really isn't worth it

Ugh

Let's just hope that the sales trajectory is such that another year is really isn't worth it

It doesn’t look promising:

BBC News said:
LadBaby refused to say whether they would make a sixth attempt on the charts next year.

But if they do, they could be within breathing distance of matching The X Factor's tally of seven Christmas number ones between 2005 and 2014. [sic]

The couple said they sympathised with accusations they'd ruined the Christmas charts, but felt the cost of living crisis was too important to ignore.

"We didn't want to come back this year but unfortunately the food banks are in emergency crisis," Roxanne told the BBC.

"We didn't want to turn our backs on so many people. We get messages every day from nurses, teachers, children and families who are struggling.

"You don't want music to become something people get annoyed with [but] that's why we did it."

"We want to do whatever we can at Christmas to support food banks," added her husband. "And if that isn't in the form of a song, it doesn't mean we won't show up somewhere else."

"Plans are always afoot. Don't rule us out. You think we can't sing? Wait until we go somewhere else and can't do that, too."

Ugh

Yes, I'm curious whether they'd keep doing it once it's no longer a nailed-on dead cert for #1. The charity still needs the money, as they said themselves!

Poor journalists:

BBC News said:
A political protest song about the Conservative government, the title of which is unprintable here, was a new entry at seven.

It was the fourth such song to make the Christmas charts for Essex comedian Andrew Liles, whose stage name is also unprintable on the BBC News site.

The couple said they sympathised with accusations they'd ruined the Christmas charts, but felt the cost of living crisis was too important to ignore.

"We didn't want to come back this year but unfortunately the food banks are in emergency crisis," Roxanne told the BBC.

"We didn't want to turn our backs on so many people. We get messages every day from nurses, teachers, children and families who are struggling.

"You don't want music to become something people get annoyed with [but] that's why we did it."

"We want to do whatever we can at Christmas to support food banks," added her husband. "And if that isn't in the form of a song, it doesn't mean we won't show up somewhere else."

"Plans are always afoot. Don't rule us out. You think we can't sing? Wait until we go somewhere else and can't do that, too"

Someone nail the fucking pair of them to a cross

His real name isn't Andrew Liles!!! That's a completely different musician! :D

Have to feel a wee bit sorry for Sidemen, that really took during the week.

65.3k LadBaby
54.6k Wham
52.7k Sidemen
51.4k Mariah
48.4k Sheeran/John
47.9k Raye
46.1k The Kunts
38.9k Brenda Lee
36.2k Central Cee
36.1k Stormzy

This from Music Week is depressing

At just 46,946 units, the combined consumption of the Swift, Richard & Buble albums, across all models, is far and away the lowest for a Christmas top three since records began. That’s just 4.59% of the biggest ever combined sales for a top three, which occurred in week 51 of 2000, when The Beatles compilation 1 was top (422,042 sales), followed by Westlife’s second album, Coast To Coast (305,245 sales), with Robbie Williams’ third solo album, Sing When You’re Winning third (295,802 sales), making for a massive overall top three tally of 1,023,089 sales (976,117 CDs, 46,013 cassettes, 566 vinyl albums and 393 minidiscs). It is the only time in history that combined sales of the top three surpassed a million in a week. The combined sales of this week’s top three would suffice only for a No.37 position in week 51 of 2002 (20 years ago this week), immediately behind Liberty X’s Thinking It’s Over (40-36, 47,701 sales). It is not, of course, that albums released these days are any less appealing than they were (although…) but that streaming is cannibalising actual sales at a level hitherto unseen.

This from Music Week is depressing

At just 46,946 units, the combined consumption of the Swift, Richard & Buble albums, across all models, is far and away the lowest for a Christmas top three since records began. That’s just 4.59% of the biggest ever combined sales for a top three, which occurred in week 51 of 2000, when The Beatles compilation 1 was top (422,042 sales), followed by Westlife’s second album, Coast To Coast (305,245 sales), with Robbie Williams’ third solo album, Sing When You’re Winning third (295,802 sales), making for a massive overall top three tally of 1,023,089 sales (976,117 CDs, 46,013 cassettes, 566 vinyl albums and 393 minidiscs). It is the only time in history that combined sales of the top three surpassed a million in a week. The combined sales of this week’s top three would suffice only for a No.37 position in week 51 of 2002 (20 years ago this week), immediately behind Liberty X’s Thinking It’s Over (40-36, 47,701 sales). It is not, of course, that albums released these days are any less appealing than they were (although…) but that streaming is cannibalising actual sales at a level hitherto unseen.

I remember the christmas of 2000. I was supervisor in the singles department at Virgin Megastores in the biggest store outside of London. It was manic. All day from opening to closure. I loved it.

Nuts to remember the #36 album in 2002 sold 47k in one week. Now the actual sales of the #36 best selling album this week is probably about 1k, if that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom