Theatre 2023

One of my friends bought the super expensive tickets as a treat for her friend’s birthday. Maybe I’ll wait for their review. I’d love to see Lear one day as I did it for A-Level. Just annoyed I never saw the Glenda Jackson version.
Ian Holm at the National was the one to see, but I can't even remember which century that was in :D

It comes around all the time as it's constantly a set text, so we can't be far off Ralph Fiennes or Rowan Atkinson doing it.

Went to the Kiln Theatre for the first time last week to see Two Strangers (Carry a Cake Across New York). What a lovely little theatre space that also has an adjoining cinema, cafe and bar. Can’t believe I’d never been there. Show was rather lovely too.

And last night I dosed myself up to fight a horrible cold to make it to Lyonesse. I know it’s got some mixed to average reviews but I really enjoyed it. Have seen Lily James a few times before and she’s always good, and first time seeing Dame Kristen Scott Thomas, who was spectacular :disco:

I LOVED the Sondheim and Friends show! What absolute legends on that stage :disco:

IMG_5142.jpeg

And we saw Sunset Blvd in the evening with some better seats this time. All the awards to Scherzy.

That Old Friends cast is absolutely LEGENDS ONLY.

Did you have any subsitutes on @Elliez Navidad? I heard that my fave Joanna Riding stepped in for The Ladies Who Lunch last week and absolutely wiped the floor with it.

Sunset Blvd is hotly rumoured to be heading off to Broadway in March, with Nicole in place. A cast recording is in progress,

If you see it in London, I think you're seeing a theatrical legend in the making. People are going to be talking about this for years.

That Old Friends cast is absolutely LEGENDS ONLY.

Did you have any subsitutes on @Elliez Navidad? I heard that my fave Joanna Riding stepped in for The Ladies Who Lunch last week and absolutely wiped the floor with it.
Yes, Joanna Riding killed it. Was she not scheduled to perform that one?

And Janie Dee’s “The Boy From…” was hysterical. I also unashamedly adore Bonnie Langford. What an absolute pro, and you can tell how much she still loves it.

Also… Bradley Jaden was :horny: Why have I just realised he was Sonia’s annoying hippy lodger in Eastenders last year? :o

Yes, Joanna Riding killed it. Was she not scheduled to perform that one?

And Janie Dee’s “The Boy From…” was hysterical. I also unashamedly adore Bonnie Langford. What an absolute pro, and you can tell how much she still loves it.

Also… Bradley Jaden was :horny: Why have I just realised he was Sonia’s annoying hippy lodger in Eastenders last year? :o

Claire Burt usually does it, but I'd love to hear Joanna Riding give it a bash, it's such an amazing song.

I'd recommend never ordering a vodka stinger though - absolutely horrible!

The incredible filmed version of 42nd Street from Theatre Royal Drury Lane is on SkyArts in a moment at 9pm. So much better than the current touring version.

I knew that scene opened the second act but my jaw was still on the floor the whole way through.

So sad this is ending in two weeks and the rest of the run is basically sold out as I NEED to see it again!

I’m hoping for an Olivier Awards performance from her, but if she’s doing Broadway in March that might not happen :(

Oh it was absolutely fantastic, I can't think of much better I have seen in the West End.

I was not sure what I was expecting, I knew it was a different take, but I was not expecting it to be so 'modern' - I thought we'd still have her in the Norma Desmond headdress etc. It was really done like a modern concert or music video wasn't it with the big screens etc. Nicole is totally mesmerising and I just can't with that voice, first time hearing it live in the flesh :disco:

We had quite good seats near the front and whilst there were standing ovations etc, there was someone in front complaining it was too 'Diversity' at the start with the dance troop and another by the side of me trying to sing along to Perfect Year and going on about Dina Carroll :D How uncouth

I loved Nicole going from glam and impressive to really trying to portray Norma as the older fading star she was, loved it

I was in cheap seats and people were mostly well behaved, except someone who had clearly done all their Christmas shopping in the day and dumped about 10 shopping bags in the aisle, and another person who got their LAPTOP out and was WORKING during the interval.

@Ellie Have you seen this yet?

I'm not expert on theatre/ musical but could tell this show has a bright future.

We were front row and it felt very exciting.
No, I haven’t. Getting increasingly annoyed with the way they’re marketing the ticket deals, being biased towards their “fanbase” of people who have already seen it 10 times. They’re even offering some kind of loyalty scheme with stamps and incentives to see it over and over again.

That would be great if it was in a big theatre, but it’s the smallest in the West End so they’re locking out first timers, and I refuse to pay more than double of what the fans are paying.

I WILL see it one day, but looks like it’s not going anywhere and will run for a long time. I wasn’t much of a fan of the non-musical film version though, but understand this is very tonally different.

No, I haven’t. Getting increasingly annoyed with the way they’re marketing the ticket deals, being biased towards their “fanbase” of people who have already seen it 10 times. They’re even offering some kind of loyalty scheme with stamps and incentives to see it over and over again.

That would be great if it was in a big theatre, but it’s the smallest in the West End so they’re locking out first timers, and I refuse to pay more than double of what the fans are paying.

I WILL see it one day, but looks like it’s not going anywhere and will run for a long time. I wasn’t much of a fan of the non-musical film version though, but understand this is very tonally different.
I've not seen the film, but knew the story. I imagine, it's very different. Five people playing all the roles, I thought might be jarring (I've never enjoyed women playing men) but it was great fun and the roles brilliantly allotted. All queer/ female leads, which it obviously BETTER.

Yes there did seem to be a few people who were return viewers, pre-empting punchlines etc. But that was fine. We got ours through a lottery for £35 Monday tickets. We've won them twice, so not impossible to get as a first timer. So many people walking out the theatre absolutely delighted with what they've just seen. Absolutely worth the money.

It is a very cramped theatre, but that was OK. We were worried that being at eye level to stage would be a strain/ a bit weird, but it was great - intimate and at one point interactive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom