Theatre 2023

I’m in shock - genuinely :D
Are you seeing it then? Jesus, for As If We Never Said Goodbye was one of the most moving and triumphant vocal performances I’ve seen at the theatre.

And @Jacques

Yes the outside part was definitely live, done on the rainy afternoon in the daylight. Could see that he was surrounded by security so they clearly cordon it off for a brief moment, but if you’re in the area I would also love to stick around to see that part from the street!

Just watching Sondheim's Old Friends on iPlayer. I remember it being on over Christmas last year l, but totally forgot about it until Haydn Gwynne's death reminded me of it.

And now toying with the idea of coming up to the Glitteriing West End for it.

Just watching Sondheim's Old Friends on iPlayer. I remember it being on over Christmas last year l, but totally forgot about it until Haydn Gwynne's death reminded me of it.

And now toying with the idea of coming up to the Glitteriing West End for it.
Il going in December, but there have been some decent prices deals popping up in the last few weeks.

I went to Sunset Boulevard yesterday evening. Enjoyed the second half more than the first. Nicole was very good vocally and had a few funny/knowing lines. Was my first experience of the Savoy, the Grand Circle is very far up (maybe it is everywhere, it's not a section I tend to go for when buying tickets myself) and there was an annoying railing that was getting in the way whenever they were at the front of the stage and obscuring my view of the male lead in his underwear (:horny:)

The talk amongst my group afterwards was all about

the start of the second half being out on the Strand - is it done live each performance, or are there two or three pre-recorded versions that are made to look live by matching the time of day and weather? Considering turning up outside at 9pm one day to find out

We did Back to The Future yesterday for BTTF Day. They performed a previously cut song from the workshops at the end as a treat. Almost everyone in the front few rows was dressed up as someone or other. The song was pretty much a mash up of two other songs that are in the show already so no real loss.

Anyway, my mate is a whiz with a sneaky photo when we’re not supposed to use cameras. I couldn’t resist posting because they’re so great:

IMG_3992.jpeg

IMG_3991.jpeg

Are you seeing it then? Jesus, for As If We Never Said Goodbye was one of the most moving and triumphant vocal performances I’ve seen at the theatre.

I am. I've always enjoyed Nicole's bare naked ambition and this seems like a wonderful vehicle for it :D

Saw the "Old Friends" Sondheim revue the other night and it was an absolute RIOT. Bernadette can't sing a note anymore but had charisma for the ages. Seeing Lea Salonga banging out some choice Steve was a dream come true. I didn't even realise it was her as
Mrs Lovett
for the first few minutes!

The rest of the supporting cast were full of old faves (Joanna Riding and Janie Dee) and new (Jac Yarrow :horny:).The song list was a bit short on deep cuts, but you could forgive it that given what it was. The few self-indulgent Cam Mac moments were a bit eye rolling, but overall it made me quite misty eyed over Steve no longer being with us.

Worth a visit for sure.

Sunset Blvd and Pacific Overtures up next month. I gave away my ticket to Next To Normal as I couldn't get out of work on time and the reviews seemed underwhelming. Sorry @dUb.

Last edited:
Grease is over :(:(:( But got a decent video of the final curtain call. Must say that Jason Donovan highly improved in this run. Still the shittest of the Teen Angels, but it wasn’t painful to watch like last year.

Also saw the matinee of Private Lives. Didn’t love it (domestic violence is apparently HILARIOUS in this one). Average age of the patron to this show was about 80. Whole place stank of piss and they were all muttering and coughing through it too.

Tickets booked for Operation Mincemeat. Not until next April, but pleasing regardless. Reviews say it's an absolute blast.

Tickets booked for Operation Mincemeat. Not until next April, but pleasing regardless. Reviews say it's an absolute blast.
Been on my list for ages. Something tells me this is gonna stick around for quite a while.

Just seen Dear England. I wasn’t interested at all really but heard it wasn’t all about football and more about the wider politics of what’s going on in Britain. Got a cheap seat for a weekday matinee on a day off - nicely got upgraded to a premium seat an hour before curtain :disco: The play though… It’s about football.

I actually enjoyed the first act a lot though as it does have universals themes. Halfway through the second act I completely zoned out as it became more and more about football football football. Still 7/10 in general.

Last edited:
Rather disappointed in Flowers For Mrs. Harris :( Rewatched the film version which I loved, and this just wasn’t a patch on it. Sondheim-esque score just went on and on and on.

It was longer than advertised so ended up being nearly 3 hours, and didn’t really develop the secondary characters, which lost all of their charm. I couldn’t work out how such a small simple story would take so long to tell, and still leave things out that were done so well on film.

Last edited:
OMG that was SENSATIONAL. I was really not expecting that at all. Tears rolling down my cheeks!

Sunset Boulevard booked for Friday 29th Dec :disco: Since it was announced I knew I would like to go in that period beyween xmas and NY.

The last time I went to The Savoy Theatre was Legally Blonde years ago and remember loving it, so I am excited all round

I’m going to see Patti Lupone on Friday and then The Lehman Trilogy on Saturday.

Also got tickets for Angels in America (over two weekends in December) and then Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 for the Christmas break.

Sunset Boulevard booked for Friday 29th Dec :disco: Since it was announced I knew I would like to go in that period beyween xmas and NY.

The last time I went to The Savoy Theatre was Legally Blonde years ago and remember loving it, so I am excited all round

I don’t know why they’ve just released a trailer halfway into the limited run. Have they properly filled it possible to be released at some point?

It's absolutely rammed every night that Nicole's on, so I don't know what that's for. It could easily run for another 6 months if they wanted it to, so maybe they're planning an extension... or a Broadway transfer.

I'm seeing it on Tuesday and I can't wait :disco:

I’m going again on 16th December with some better seats - already have matinee for Sondheim and Friends on the same day, so that should be a good one!

Just looked for tickets out of interest and I had to get through a captcha and am now being held in a queue..! :D

The Sondheim show is really wonderful.

So Sunset Blvd. last night was INCREDIBLE. I've never seen anything like it, it's one of the best evenings I've had in the theatre for years.

Nicole is completely sensational and brings the house down multiple times mid-show, the production is beautifully conceived, the score sounds stunning. Tom Francis was a fantastic Joe (anyone's better than that awful Barrowman) and Loved David Thaxton as Max too - what a voice. So many amazing moments that I won't spoil - I can't recommend it enough.

I've seen the original big set production (once with Betty Buckley and once with Dame Elaine), as well as the Glenn Close Coliseum take a few years ago, but I can't imagine going back to a traditional turban version of it after this, when casting Norma as a young woman who has lost none of her star power but still has been forgotten and sidelined works incredibly well. The attraction between her and Joe is sizzling in a way I haven't seen before.

We were in Row G in the stalls and it was intense. I really don't like the Savoy much as a theatre, but the compactness of it really makes this production work.

Five stars!

So Sunset Blvd. last night was INCREDIBLE. I've never seen anything like it, it's one of the best evenings I've had in the theatre for years.

Nicole is completely sensational and brings the house down multiple times mid-show, the production is beautifully conceived, the score sounds stunning. Tom Francis was a fantastic Joe (anyone's better than that awful Barrowman) and Loved David Thaxton as Max too - what a voice. So many amazing moments that I won't spoil - I can't recommend it enough.

I've seen the original big set production (once with Betty Buckley and once with Dame Elaine), as well as the Glenn Close Coliseum take a few years ago, but I can't imagine going back to a traditional turban version of it after this, when casting Norma as a young woman who has lost none of her star power but still has been forgotten and sidelined works incredibly well. The attraction between her and Joe is sizzling in a way I haven't seen before.

We were in Row G in the stalls and it was intense. I really don't like the Savoy much as a theatre, but the compactness of it really makes this production work.

Five stars!

We saw it last weekend, Nicole wasn't on. We saw Rachel Tucker instead, she was incredible. I guess it works better with Nicole but I wasn't disappointed. I was a bit lukewarm on the first act, but the second act was absolutely brilliant. Tom Francis' opening number was so good and Tucker's As If We Never Said Goodbye was fantastic.

Good god, this needs an extension. It won’t because the Savoy is booked up, but it’s truly an event. So glad you all got to see it.

I’ve never once sat in the stalls at The Savoy due to the prices. Even for my repeat trip we’ll be Row F of Dress Circle, and they weren’t cheap either.

I saw The Time Traveller’s Wife this week. 3 stars. Lovely cast performances. Joanne Woodward was excellent and has an uncanny resemblance to Emma Stone. Songs are nice, but ballad heavy.

The “effects” with Henry disappearing and reappearing on the other side of the stage were good, but not done quite as well as Groundhog Day. Just one watch from the dress circle and you can see how it’s done.

I paid around £80 for absolute DOG SHIT tickets!

I’ve seen top seats priced at £295.00, which I think is INSANE but people are buying them.

I paid around £80 for absolute DOG SHIT tickets!

I’ve seen top seats priced at £295.00, which I think is INSANE but people are buying them.
They’re probably better than you think due to the raked seats. Ours were £100 but any closer in the Dress Circle were £200-£300. ATG put those shitty “champagne packages” on any decent seat :angry:

Is Sunset worth seeing even if it isn't Nicole?

Rachel Tucker does the Mondays and people seem to really rate her performance and her, so I'd say it is. It's a great production in any event. However, there's definitely something special about seeing Scherzinger, a pop star in her 40s, in the role though - it definitely adds an extra layer to the evening.

Last edited:
Is Sunset worth seeing even if it isn't Nicole?

Rachel Tucker does the Mondays and people seem to really rate her performance and her, so I'd say it is. It's a great production in any event. However, there's definitely something special about seeing Scherzinger, a pop star in her 40s, in the role though - it definitely adds an extra layer to the evening.

I would have loved to see Nicole Scherzinger, but we were only in London for a weekend, so we didn't have a choice since she was off that Saturday. I really wasn't disappointed at all. Rachel Tucker's voice is fantastic and she's great in the role.
On the plus side: I had managed to get great seats in the stalls for around £47 the day before the show.

Next To Normal is getting a 14 week run at the Wyndhams next summer.

I might get to see it this time!

• Love
Reactions: dUb
Wyndhams Theatre needs a serious refurbishment. The prices they charge for those horribly uncomfortable seats are ridiculous. I was struggling with a few short productions there in the mid stalls.

My friends want to see Long Day’s Journey Into Night, but at 3 and a half hours I don’t think I could hack it at that venue. Seeing King Lear there must be painful.

Wyndhams Theatre needs a serious refurbishment. The prices they charge for those horribly uncomfortable seats are ridiculous. I was struggling with a few short productions there in the mid stalls.

My friends want to see Long Day’s Journey Into Night, but at 3 and a half hours I don’t think I could hack it at that venue. Seeing King Lear there must be painful.
Branagh's take on Lear is painful with or without the state of the seating.

Branagh's take on Lear is painful with or without the state of the seating.
One of my friends bought the super expensive tickets as a treat for her friend’s birthday. Maybe I’ll wait for their review. I’d love to see Lear one day as I did it for A-Level. Just annoyed I never saw the Glenda Jackson version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom