What are you eating this Christmas?

Got a huge M&S Christmas hamper for my birthday from work friends which was strangely delivered to the office. Managed to take this all back from the cupboards on Friday as I have no intention of returning.

49912AB6-72D8-4C03-BFDA-D382A1E84788.jpeg

Also in true retro fashion, we got addicted to drinking Snowballs last year so have already got the Advocaat to hand.

Since I shall now be ALONE, I went online to find a grocery delivery for this week, but all I could get with a reasonable amount of choice was ICELAND. So it’s a leg of lamb with trimmings for the day, and then a bunch of FILTH. Spicy Cheese Crispy Nuggets? OK THEN!

My parents will be cooking for the xmas eve so it'll probably be a xmas salad (an ordinary salad seasoned with nuts, honey and pomegranate), a plate of different cheese, a couple of homemade dips (usually one of beetroot and yoghurt and one of yoghurt and cucumbers) a few lambchops and a stuffed chicken roll with baked potato flakes. They make their own wines, so probably lots of wine too.

Since I shall now be ALONE, I went online to find a grocery delivery for this week, but all I could get with a reasonable amount of choice was ICELAND. So it’s a leg of lamb with trimmings for the day, and then a bunch of FILTH. Spicy Cheese Crispy Nuggets? OK THEN!

Sounds IDEAL!

I can’t decide what to have for the main meal. I’ve road tested a few veggie options from supermarkets and they’re all pretty shite. Which means probably a Quorn roast thing, which I really like but is just boring.

Oh of course my Christmas Eve supper will be all the fish you can eat. Mostly freshly caught fish bought from a shack on an island, with some additional luxury treats from various supermarkets.

As I said I've never hosted Christmas Eve before, and it's quite a big deal for our family, being the only time we really celebrate our European heritage.

Iceland kindly informed me this morning that the lamb is unavailable :DAF: so now I’ve got a chicken instead. Thankfully all the FILTH FOOD is still coming though.

We always have Turkey. We have MASH too because it's a family staple! Mum makes the best mash.

She normally throws in a lamb or beef option too these days. But that's usually if we have guests. It'll just be us this year, which means less options but more food :disco:

My parents will be cooking for the xmas eve so it'll probably be a xmas salad (an ordinary salad seasoned with nuts, honey and pomegranate), a plate of different cheese, a couple of homemade dips (usually one of beetroot and yoghurt and one of yoghurt and cucumbers) a few lambchops and a stuffed chicken roll with baked potato flakes. They make their own wines, so probably lots of wine too.
Where is this? Sounds delightful.

I've tried turkey for a few years since it's not an actual tradition here, but I feel it's so much less tastier than chicken and also harder to chew.

Are you orthodox QOTB or Christian (or neither)? Curious how Greeks celebrate Christmas.

One of my best friends is Greek but he's never been remotely religious so he just celebrates the way Brits do (and he's based in London also)

Are you orthodox QOTB or Christian (or neither)? Curious how Greeks celebrate Christmas.

One of my best friends is Greek but he's never been remotely religious so he just celebrates the way Brits do (and he's based in London also)

This a little like asking if I am a mammal or a primate tbh :D do you mean whether am orthodox or catholic?

We always have Turkey. We have MASH too because it's a family staple! Mum makes the best mash.

She normally throws in a lamb or beef option too these days. But that's usually if we have guests. It'll just be us this year, which means less options but more food :disco:

I always thought mash was a Christmas dinner staple! We always have it too, it’s one of my favourites :disco:

I actually don't like Christmas dinner very much at all (it's so BLAND and STODGY no matter how you try to TART IT UP, I feel the same about roast dinners).
SPROUTS are genuinely usually my favourite part. I wish we ate a dish of delicious pasta instead.

As the only vegetarian in my family, I will probably get whatever STODGY SLOP M&S are selling this year, banged in the oven and FORGOTTEN ABOUT until BONE DRY as per usual. Along with a few SAD LOOKING vegetables without any gravy as it will be full of MEAT JUICE :(

I much preferred the idea of last year's lockdown Christmas, where dinner was basically 3 bottles of champagne, a couple of grams of ket and a MINCE PIE if you needed SUSTENANCE

sorry yes that's what I meant :D
Am orthodox, not very religious but am not atheist either, I mean I will pray and perhaps fast occasionally because it's heatlhy to detox once in a while. I like most of the traditions that go along with it, but am not really a church goer. Catholics here mainly come from the islands (they converted during the centuries of Venetian rule) but the customs, traditions and celebrations are the same.

@big rondeer it's in the northwest Peloponnese.

I can’t decide what to have for the main meal. I’ve road tested a few veggie options from supermarkets and they’re all pretty shite. Which means probably a Quorn roast thing, which I really like but is just boring.

I've made a few nut roasts myself and they're a piece of piss to whip up the day before, then just bang it in the oven with everything else the next day. Shop ones are wank, usually.

I contemplated dodging meat this christmas dinner, but I would still cook it for everyone else and I couldn't be arsed with 4 parents baiting and judging. Especially as Ron Jr loves to chip in, my Dads fully brainwashed him into being a carnivore :D

Am orthodox, not very religious but am not atheist either, I mean I will pray and perhaps fast occasionally because it's heatlhy to detox once in a while. I like most of the traditions that go along with it, but am not really a church goer. Catholics here mainly come from the islands (they converted during the centuries of Venetian rule) but the customs, traditions and celebrations are the same.

@big rondeer it's in the northwest Peloponnese.

See I always thought Orthodox Christians celebrated Christmas in January but maybe you do both?

There's such a blurred line these days between traditional celebrations and commercial celebrations so it's always interesting to see how other countries do it.

See I always thought Orthodox Christians celebrated Christmas in January but maybe you do both?

There's such a blurred line these days between traditional celebrations and commercial celebrations so it's always interesting to see how other countries do it.
Oh now I understand, kk that's with the old calendar (used in the churches of Russia, Serbia and Mt Athos - an autonomous mini-state of monks). The rest have changed calendars (we did in 1923) so Christmas is always on the 25th of December. Yet there's an exception for the Easter, which continues to be celebrated with the old calendar dates even now for both catholics and orthodox here. It's very complicated, I tried to explain it as better as I could, it will probably sort itself out though if the talks they're in about reunification go on.

Oh now I understand, kk that's with the old calendar (used in the churches of Russia, Serbia and Mt Athos - an autonomous mini-state of monks). The rest have changed calendars (we did in 1923) so Christmas is always on the 25th of December. Yet there's an exception for the Easter, which continues to be celebrated with the old calendar dates even now for both catholics and orthodox here. It's very complicated, I tried to explain it as better as I could, it will probably sort itself out though if the talks they're in about reunification go on.

No it does make sense, I've read about it before but just couldn't remember. Was just curious how you do it.

I asked Santa for a hot Colombian boyfriend who will be cute in public but dominate me in the bedroom. but I have a feeling I will just get some vinyls. Santa's kind of a shady bitch these days.

I've made a few nut roasts myself and they're a piece of piss to whip up the day before, then just bang it in the oven with everything else the next day. Shop ones are wank, usually.

I just don’t have time AT ALL. Apparently Aldi’s fake Turkey is top notch but I can’t find one for love nor money.

It’s annoying as my favourite thing EVER (Morrisons Brie stuffed nut roasts) appear to have been discontinued

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom