2022 French Presidential Election

It's also very problematic to keep old people in till so late because young people eventually get tired of waiting for their turn to work and migrate to countries that can absorb them. I get that "but they aren't competing for the same jobs" in some countries, bravo and well done for them if so, unfortunately in others they are.

So let me get this right, the president under whom the far right gained 3 million votes, went from 7 MPs to 89 and obtained 2 vice presidents in the parliament is explaining how to fight the far right to the daughter of someone who was deported to Auschwitz no less? :eyes:

Another great day for Macron being our only hope in the face of fascism :eyes:

we're gonna see tougher anti immigration policies in every European country that doesn't have a far right government. the right is too powerful, these "concessions" will be made by any centrist government that gets in (see also Tusk in Poland, Labour in the UK have already signalled their intent here, etc).

I know you believe Macron is evil but this is European politics in 2023.

we're gonna see tougher anti immigration policies in every European country that doesn't have a far right government. the right is too powerful, these "concessions" will be made by any centrist government that gets in (see also Tusk in Poland, Labour in the UK have already signalled their intent here, etc).

I know you believe Macron is evil but this is European politics in 2023.
They literally had the choice to pass a completely different law with the left who over all have more members in the parliament than Le Pen’s party. But they chose the far right option.

Saying poor centrists don’t have a choice is complete bullshit.

They literally had the choice to pass a completely different law with the left who over all have more members in the parliament than Le Pen’s party. But they chose the far right option.

the more they press on with policies that the electorate don't want, the quicker the hard right will be in (and the biggest party) the next time France goes to the polls. this is evident, no? I'm not sympathising with Macron. but you have to accept that France is a fundamentally very racist country and it's all headed one direction.

This is a reply posted from a country where the centre right did what you refer to with the left for a decade and guess what happened…exactly the opposite, the far right kept growing.

Now even the (moderate) left regret all that and they’re all competing for tougher immigration laws.

You can try to circumvent the electorate as much as you can but they will end up voting for the party that give them what they want.

Last edited:
the more they press on with policies that the electorate don't want, the quicker the hard right will be in (and the biggest party) the next time France goes to the polls. this is evident, no? I'm not sympathising with Macron. but you have to accept that France is a fundamentally very racist country and it's all headed one direction.
France is roughly divided in three between left, centre ( :eyes: ) and far right. He’s not pressing on with policies the electorate don’t want, he is deliberately choosing ONE THIRD of the electorate over the other.
The results of the 2022 elections meant he can’t rule on his own, but he has chosen to align with Le Pen’s party every single time over the left that literally saved his dirty fascist ass in 2022.

On the subject of disappointing elected officials, where is my George Santos thread and emoji may I ask?

This is a reply posted from a country where the centre right did what you refer to with the left for a decade and guess what happened…exactly the opposite, the far right kept growing.

Now even the (moderate) left regret all that and they’re all competing for tougher immigration laws.

You can try to circumvent the electorate as much as you can but they will end up voting for the party that give them what they want.
France has literally functioned for a century by circumventing the far right. Macron has ended this.

Centrists really are just fascist enablers.
You're calling half of moopy fascist enablers there. Which I think is unnecessary.
I mean, putting it in a UK context. The Labour party (theoretically centre-left) are anti-immigration and anti-europe, haven't pledged to remove Voter ID and have various other positions that capitulate to the far right (who are currently trying to get judges to fuck off, for example)

DC MAY WELL HAVE A POINT

Reactions: COB
It's probably also worth mentioning that the Biden administration is looking to introduce some incredibly tough new immigration measures in the US (which we've all been too busy laughing at Santos to post about in the relevant topic), so it's happening all over.

Globalism innit. Liberal politics is on its last legs and they're desperate. Soft power, coalitions and centrism is going to be the norm for at least a generation until the oldies who don't recognise this new world leave us, otherwise right wing and nationalist parties will win - the strengh of the narrative they can create on the back of globalist movements (whether the consequences are actually true or not has never mattered to the right) is enough to give them momentum in pretty much any country at this point.

If globalism slows down a little, and I'm not sure how it does, nor am I personally bothered if it does or not (I'm very pro-unity in every sense) we might return to some level of normality. But this is big picture impact now and for the next 50 years I reckon. Little bits of who said what and created what law doesn't matter anymore.

Meanwhile Pakistan is deporting over 1.5M Afghan refugees, a vast majority of Turks want the Syrian refugees to be deported and let’s not even start at what the Gulf states think about refugees from the rest of the Arab world. Anti-immigration is hardly an exclusively Western issue.

The point was that it’s a world wide issue
Yes - some of the wealthiest nations on the planet, by GDP per capita, far from making anything even approaching a fair contribution are doing nothing whatsoever.

Qatar might enjoy playing the role of international mediator, but you can be sure it won’t accept any Palestinian refugees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom