2022 French Presidential Election

@Dark Carnival
getherjade-get.gif

That's more than 70% of the overall population, more than 90% of the working population and literally every union in France that's against it.
well nobody is going to be queuing up to work LONGER or further into their 60s, other than business owners! any country in the world could have a referendum tomorrow asking the people if they'd like a 3-day working week and 95% would say YES—it doesn't mean it's a viable option economically.

the population being against it really isn't the primary concern here, is it? politicians have to do unpopular things most of the time.

well nobody is going to be queuing up to work LONGER or further into their 60s, other than business owners! any country in the world could have a referendum tomorrow asking the people if they'd like a 3-day working week and 95% would say YES—it doesn't mean it's a viable option economically.

the population being against it really isn't the primary concern here, is it? politicians have to do unpopular things most of the time.
I know I'm risking the wrath of the Dark Carnival but watching Macron last night on TV explain what this reform was and what the alternatives were actually made total sense. Which is not saying that I agree with everything in this reform and the way it was handled.. but it did help me understand why some kind of reform had to happen. In fact, every single President in France for the last 30 years ( left or right) has tried to make this reform, and was never able to.
This answers both of you: no one is saying a reform isn't necessary at some point. Polls show that the majority of the French population thinks a reform is necessary. It's how this reform is being done that is completely insane. When you know you don't have a consensus around your project, the worst thing you could do is ignore everyone, by pass the parliament vote and insist your way is the best. Even the business owner union, that's the most right leaning union, the one that never joins the strikes, is against this reform, Jark.

Pensions Advisory Council published a report clearly stating the pensions system was in a good shape. Many alternatives have been proposed to maintain the system's health down the line including (super mega) wealth tax that Macron removed as a gift to the super mega rich and taxes on super margins made during Covid and the current inflation. Even Macron finally admitted yesterday that something needs to be done about these margins. However, knowing the fucker, it's clearly just him bullshitting because he's currently under pressure.

I know I'm risking the wrath of the Dark Carnival but watching Macron last night on TV explain what this reform was and what the alternatives were actually made total sense. Which is not saying that I agree with everything in this reform and the way it was handled.. but it did help me understand why some kind of reform had to happen. In fact, every single President in France for the last 30 years ( left or right) has tried to make this reform, and was never able to.
But Hollande did a reform, love!

Many alternatives have been proposed to maintain the system's health down the line including (super mega) wealth tax that Macron removed as a gift to the super mega rich and taxes on super margins made during Covid and the current inflation. Even Macron finally admitted yesterday that something needs to be done about these margins. However, knowing the fucker, it's clearly just him bullshitting because he's currently under pressure.
presumably there are many other beneficiaries of a potential mega-wealth tax that would receive that money before the pensions pot - education, health, public infrastructure to name just a few. obviously France (like every other major European economy...) should be stringently taxing the super-wealthy, but isn't. beyond that, what reforms do the public want when it comes to pensions, if as you say they accept that reform is necessary? "just tax the rich!" is a go-to answer for every hole in public spending.

presumably there are many other beneficiaries of a potential mega-wealth tax that would receive that money before the pensions pot - education, health, public infrastructure to name just a few. obviously France (like every other major European economy...) should be stringently taxing the super-wealthy, but isn't. beyond that, what reforms do the public want when it comes to pensions, if as you say they accept that reform is necessary? "just tax the rich!" is a go-to answer for every hole in public spending.
I would agree with you partially if this was being currently done, except it isn’t. Macron cut wealth taxes AND massively reduced funding for health, education and unemployment benefits. Where that money is being injected? Businesses mainly. This has obviously benefited the richest seeing how their wealth increased by an unprecedented 75% or more according to different reports during the past 5 years. Inequalities have followed suit and increased between the wealthiest and the poorest.

I would agree with you partially if this was being currently done, except it isn’t. Macron cut wealth taxes AND massively reduced funding for health, education and unemployment benefits. Where that money is being injected? Businesses mainly. This has obviously benefited the richest seeing how their wealth increased by an unprecedented 75% or more according to different reports during the past 5 years. Inequalities have followed suit and increased between the wealthiest and the poorest.
Have people tried not being poor? :)

The watch costs 1.800 Euro and was a gift , he took it off because it banged on the table while he spoke minutes before.
Why did he feel the need to hide it so well underneath the table, if it was just ‘banging’? :eyes:

Is it really shocking he has an 1800 Euro watch? It’s really not that much for a watch in the grand scheme of things and he is the PRESIDENT. No one would bat an eyelid at a woman wearing a ring that much. There’s a lot to criticise him for but this ISN’T IT!

I didn’t pay that much attention to the watch story besides the numbers that were thrown as a price and look made up either way. But apparently someone here KNOWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom