ABBA Have Recorded New Music

How unexpected but exciting. And if we're getting two songs, one to have a frug to and one to soundtrack a minor breakdown feels right.

The paper have loved Abba for years... For prosperity...

JUYwRQCOPbDx0sbVUA2U_gua.JPG

EFJ3tqtNSyq7jVVCaTIo_sun.JPG

mX5xz463SVNuKdM5ETf2_star.JPG

fFb7mQl4TiTjD4YQwAiJ_exp.JPG

tumblr_p7v303eNP61u5f06vo1_1280.jpg

Oh and

tumblr_p7v3fwUO921u5f06vo1_1280.jpg

As if the STOP FUCKING HATE didn't touch it for their front page!

Traditionally the STOP FUCKING HATE and Express are the ones who will run with any whiff of a story.

OMG - we'll have to move Abba out of Retirement Village :disco:

for about three days admittedly

I want Kim and Moon to join the reunion :disco:

Why isn't this pinned to the top? Why is this not already 25 pages?

We need a banner @Mugatu

I'm happy to make one but I'm a bit low on ideas, I was born in 2006 so I'm not especially familiar with ABBA beyond the classics. If anyone has an angle they want me to go for I'll do it.

I want Kim and Park to join the reunion :disco:

I'm happy to make one but I'm a bit low on ideas, I was born in 2006 so I'm not especially familiar with ABBA beyond the classics. If anyone has an angle they want me to go for I'll do it.
Gay coma.

How did the news go down with Mr @lolly ?

I haven't actually SEEN him yet. I went out before he got home from work last night, got very drunk and stayed out until 4am, so decided to stay at his mum's for the night instead, as I wouldn't disturb him then, plus it was a cheaper cab fare.

I mean I've spoken to him about it a couple of times and he seems okay, but I would prefer to be able to check his vital signs in person.

I haven't actually SEEN him yet. I went out before he got home from work last night, got very drunk and stayed out until 4am, so decided to stay at his mum's for the night instead, as I wouldn't disturb him then, plus it was a cheaper cab fare.

I mean I've spoken to him about it a couple of times and he seems okay, but I would prefer to be able to check his vital signs in person.

Sorry what?? Got you in at 4am??

I wonder how exactly the new songs will be made available commercially? I’m wet at the thought of the many loon-fleecing ways they could sell them to us

18 Hits: 20 Hits Edition out soon :disco:

Well I don't need to worry about what to get Mr L for Christmas this year at least.

There'll either be about FIFTY editions of it...or they'll release it to iTunes on a Tuesday.

I wonder how exactly the new songs will be made available commercially? I’m wet at the thought of the many loon-fleecing ways they could sell them to us

18 Hits: 20 Hits Edition out soon :disco:

Picture disc. Limited edition. Record Store Day 2019. Outright panic sets in. eBay explodes.

I became aware last night of how much this is going to cost me. I'm not someone to normally indulge is such things (I still don't own Golden on any format) due to financial constraints, but this is such a defining moment, regardless of quality.

I became aware last night of how much this is going to cost me. I'm not someone to normally indulge is such things (I still don't own Golden on any format) due to financial constraints, but this is such a defining moment, regardless of quality.

Please don't do it. This could be a gateway drug.

While I don't have a ROOM, no-one would spend time in my house and have any doubt that I'm partial to a splash of ABBA.

I've often (probably more often than I should) wondered what I'd do with all the Abba shit if Mr L carks it. If you can send a man with a van along the M4, it's yours. It'll save me weeks on eBay.

Jackie Clune in the Sunday Telegraph

As a lifelong Abba fan – and having toured the world for three years as the lead in the smash hit Abba musical, Mamma Mia! – I am no less than thrilled that Abba have announced they are back together.

The Swedish Fab Four have recorded two new songs, their first new material in 35 years, and will be ‘touring’ next year in a stage show using digital projections of the band members (or ‘Abbatars’).

This is huge. This is better than Elvis, The Beatles and Bowie all rising, reforming and playing an intimate unplugged gig in my back garden.

I know it’s not cool. I know that, critically, their nine number one hits between 1974 and 1980 were met with disdain, and that all the young dudes were into rock, then punk, then ska, and that living as an out-of-the-closet lover of Abba during the seventies was death to your cred forever; you might as well have popped on a nylon kaftan and torched yourself on your own fondue.

But I don’t care - my love of their music has since been vindicated by the huge and enduring success of their songs.

It’s now OK to love Abba. When I was in Mamma Mia!, it was like dishing out musical Prozac to every audience we met. From Munich to Manchester, Cape Town to Copenhagen, Bangkok to Baden Baden, the crowds would go wild with a kind of nostalgic hysteria. Even the most reserved audiences would be up dancing, singing along and grinning from ear to ear by the end.

In Kuala Lumpur on Christmas Day, we performed to a majority Muslim crowd, and it was the most joyous thing to see all the women in their white hijabs waving their arms in the air at the finale.

I knew Abba were going to be huge the moment I saw them on the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974. It’s hard to say exactly what I loved the most – the song, Waterloo, which I got to sing decades later hundreds of times; Agnetha’s sky-blue crochet beanie hat and silver platform boots combo; or Anni-Frid’s handkerchief hem and bubble perm. They were just fabulous. It was no surprise to me when they won, and went on to dominate the pop charts for the next six years.

They had a fabulous image – one Barbie-doll blonde, one auburn sexpot – with two genius beardies behind them, pumping out hit after hit. The songwriting was superb, and it goes without saying that the songs have stood the test of time; there is still no better floor-filler at a wedding than Dancing Queen, which somehow captures in three and a half heady minutes that “it’s the weekend!” sense of liberation and youthful possibility we all felt on a Friday night (“and the lights are low…”).

As a singer, I never tire of singing Abba songs. From the first few spine tingling bars of I Have a Dream, which opens Mamma Mia, to the stomping megamix finale, it was pure pleasure to perform. The challenge of banging out 12 massive songs, eight times a week, filled me with respect for Anni-Frid and Agnetha; the range, tone and quality of their voices was first class. Theirs were big (platform) boots to fill.

Previously, I had done a pretty good Karen Carpenter impression, and when Peter Kay saw the show in Manchester, he came back three times: “It were brilliant! It were like ‘Karen Carpenter sings the hits of Abba’!” He pretended he came back so his extended family could see the show, but he was always first on his feet, waving his bobble hat in the air.

I worshipped Anni-Frid and Agnetha. The year after I left Mamma Mia!, I appeared in the West End production of Billy Elliot. One night after the show, the company manager knocked on my door saying she had a guest who’d just seen the show and wanted to meet me. In walked Anni-Frid. I was totally gobsmacked. I think I started shaking.

She was so calm and polite, and she told me she knew I had been in Mamma Mia! and wanted to know what it was like to have to belt out the massive power ballad The Winner Takes It All, night after night. I burbled something about breath control, vocal placement and shouting at pitch, before blurting out: “But what was it like for you?”

There was the most dignified of pauses before she very sweetly said: “I don’t know… it was Agnetha that sang that one.”

I nearly died. I KNEW that. I was just so nervous! I could re-enact the video frame by frame, could still picture Agnetha’s shaggy blonde perm and windscreen wiper blue eye make-up, strolling by the sea in a red jumpsuit while Anni-Frid and the boys laughed, seemingly inured to her pain. I still blush thinking about it.

So as Abba return for a vitual tour in the new year – digitially retouched to make them look just like they did in 1979 – we should all take a moment, crack out the Lycra and feel the joy. Once again, we can be young and sweet, only 17.

I was brought up with ABBA being born in 1973, and their songs always bring me back to such happy, simpler times. I don’t actually think any other act had the same impact in 70’s/80’s Ireland.

Oh bang, a boom-a-boomerang
Dum-be-dum-dum be-dum-be-dum-dum
Oh bang, a boom-a-boomerang
Love is a tune you hum-de-hum-hum

:disco:

It must be the lyric I most often cited as a weapon against them.

WEAPON MY ARSE. If you don't understand the pure unfiltered joy in that song, you don't understand pop music, and I offer you my condolences.

Hopefully as its a couple of tracks only it'll be strong material. Albums seem to be more problematic for returning superstars.

Do we think we may be blessed with a joint TV appearance/ interview?

Yes, I reckon so. But I think that is probably the best we can hope for as a joint effort.

Nice to see Nina Nannar take a short break from knitting knickers in Neasden for a short interview:

Straight out of 1972? I hope it's a People Need Love rewrite with extra yodelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom