Books you've read in 2023

I've just finished my 18th book of 2023, which sounds impressive, except I read romantic comedies and nothing too taxing on my brain :D

Just about to start this one.
1000022800.jpg

I've just finished my 18th book of 2023, which sounds impressive, except I read romantic comedies and nothing too taxing on my brain :D
One of my coworkers posts every book she reads on her instagram story. She reads maybe 10 books a week and they are all young adult romance books

One of my coworkers posts every book she reads on her instagram story. She reads maybe 10 books a week and they are all young adult romance books
Ten a week :o she must never leave her house or talk to real people!

I'd recommend this to you. It's a psychological thriller, but very much chick lit adjacent. And it's set in Cornwall.

51tkEnYJ3gL.jpg

My friend recommended it, is it good?
I really liked it. Very easy to read and very funny in parts.

It's not a deep, intellectual book, but if you're after an easy fun read then I'd highly recommend.

Currently on this non fiction history book on Germany 1945-1949. I find recovery and resettlement really interesting. I kept getting a slightly anti-German vibe from the author, but then I realised he is German, so that's fine :)

0753557886.jpg

Right girls

I finished LESSONS which GOT BETTER AS IT WENT ON but I wasn't OVERLY SMITTEN

I then read COMPANION PIECE by ALI SMITH who I know you all HATE WITH A PASSION but I rather like her IDIOSYNCRATIC STYLE

I'm now reading READHEAD BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD by ANNE TYLER who is quite wonderful ALTHOUGH I did wonder whether I'd read it before to begin with as they are all *whispers* a little bit the same

AS YOU WERE BIBLIOPHILES

Reading THE SHARDS by Bret Easton Ellis and, OMG, @jivafox is so right. This book and its author are both so insufferable I want to HURL it across the room!
But I'm committed and will finish it.
Sorry @Jocasta Clun :shy: I'm definitely hate-reading it

Reading THE SHARDS by Bret Easton Ellis and, OMG, @jivafox is so right. This book and its author are both so insufferable I want to HURL it across the room!
But I'm committed and will finish it.
Sorry @Jocasta Clun :shy: I'm definitely hate-reading it

It's PURE SHITE. Should be called THE SHARTS.

I just found out that iconic LGBT novel and notorious afternoon RUINER and translated by Molly Ringwald LIE WITH ME was turned into a FILM

MV5BNTY5MDg0YWUtYThjNi00MjVlLTljOGUtODQxNzg5ZmJlZWZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTkxNDI2OTA@._V1_.jpg

I quite enjoy the sheer AWFULNESS of EVERYBODY in BRET'S BOOKS but maybe that's JUST ME

I saw that film was on its way on the CURZON MUCH EXCITE

I did not care for this one, too many POV’s and it just jumps around. I never got invested which was a shame cause Life After Life is one of my favorites.

Not read her previous one yet. It does jump around yes, but to good effect imo.

I loved Life After Life (and its sequel), so I’m somewhat surprised I’ve not been aware of this! Will definitely add it to my list.

In other news - I’m nearly done with The Shards but absolutely certainly done and DONE with BEE as an author. I can’t wait to finish it so I can hurl the hardback across the room before donating it to charity.

Meanwhile, speaking of really dispicable queens, I finished The Swimming Pool Library a couple of weeks ago and was rather disappointed by it.

It sounded good in theory, and the cruising scenes where relatable (to put it mildly :)) but the main character was insufferable and the exotifying of the black guys in the novel was rather disturbing.

I was sure someone had mentioned this book here earlier but I couldn’t find it in the threads of previous years either.

Getting tired of reading classics and the couple of new books I’ve read lately have been very disappointing. Will gladly be recommended something modern and good. (NOT Ali Smith though)

Meanwhile, speaking of really dispicable queens, I finished The Swimming Pool Library a couple of weeks ago and was rather disappointed by it.

It sounded good in theory, and the cruising scenes where relatable (to put it mildly :)) but the main character was insufferable and the exotifying of the black guys in the novel was rather disturbing.

I was sure someone had mentioned this book here earlier but I couldn’t find it in the threads of previous years either.
I ended up giving up on that because I was finding the exoticism downright uncomfortable.

I think I did 💅🏾

I’ve only read ‘The folding star’ by Hollinghurst and it was so dry and wordy that it put me off reading any more of him. I did watch the tv adaptation of ‘The line of beauty’ though.

And I absolutely adore Hollinghurst and I'm blocking my ears and going lalalalaaaa in this thread right now.

Getting tired of reading classics and the couple of new books I’ve read lately have been very disappointing. Will gladly be recommended something modern and good. (NOT Ali Smith though)
I recently read If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin which was, of course, enthralling.
About to dip into Toni Morrison again (probably Beloved) once I'm done with The Sharts forever and ever.

I recently read If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin which was, of course, enthralling.
About to dip into Toni Morrison again (probably Beloved) once I'm done with The Sharts forever and ever.

But those are classics too (and I still own about 5 more Toni Morrisons books to read 🫠). I need something more modern from this century maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom