Books you've read in 2023

But those are classics too (and I still own about 5 more Toni Morrisons books to read 🫠). I need something more modern from this century maybe?

The definition of 'classic' is pretty fluid and debatable - but let's not get into literary theory here. 💅

I also picked up Breasts & Eggs at an airport recently - not read it yet, but the blurb (and endorsement by Murakami) looked pretty promising.

9781529074413-uk.jpg

I found Heatwave in a charity shop for 50p, so will dive into that next once I’ve finished Riders :disco:

Moved into this. Even after the introduction, I can tell I'm going to like it. A lovely sociology x history flavour to the text. I know remarkably little about the USSR, so colour me curious.

9781913083403.jpg

HI GIRLS I AM NOW READING

38922230.jpg

I spent half an hour reading it on the underground platform of LIVERPOOL LIME STREET STATION after missing the train by seconds yesterday but such are the trials of SUNDAY IN THE PROVINCES

I think I've probably read more fiction this year than for a decade or more. Mostly I've been on a run of popular fiction and thrillers, the highlight of which had probably been this, exactly what it's called, set in the world of late night US TV.

9780857527493.jpg

And yesterday I picked up this on a whim, after feeling I fancied a bit of nonfiction. And 50 or so pages in, it's fucking great.

9781728274744.jpg

24 books read this year. It's shaping up to be one of my better years.

I know I posted this a while ago, but I'm about two thirds into this and I cannot recommend it more strongly. This is such a good book. @Beverley ?

IMG_6448.JPG

I finished 1984 (for the first time!) and god it was bleak. but pretty enjoyable in a morbid way.

now on this 90s academia gay fic I picked up at Gay's the Word

20230923_164517.jpg

wasn't sold at first but it's picking up a hundred pages in or so...

I’m reading Murakami’s Wind-up Bird Chronicle; it started so well but now, 500 pages later (and still about 100 more to read :bruised: ) I’m mostly getting annoyed at how nothing is really happening.

I’m almost through The Shards and I feel like I’m in a feverish dream where I don’t want to do anything but sit and slowly devour page after page

I don't know if it was thanks to this thread or not (probably was) but I recently read and enjoyed this:

1472257413.jpg
I read this over the summer and after being slow to get into it initially, I found it rather moving. I also didn’t realise that it’s essentially a true story until the end.

OK so I'm reading this and absolutely hating it. I know it's meant to be experimental but is it also meant to be pretentious and boring.
However, I've seen the glowing Goodreads reviews from @Beverley and @RaspberrySwirl . Explain thyselves!

A1jHdH7lMXL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Anyway ladies, in other news I am pleased to report that I have read 31 books so far this year. Okay, a couple of them were lowbrow audiobooks (Andy Cohen's biographies!)
but generally I'm quite pleased with my progress.

Are you ready for a near end of year update?
Let's go soon

Girls I lucked out and spotted this in the library ebooks before anyone else

71b0Sq1XKHL._SY466_.jpg

It's fabulous but long and I'm running out of time to finish it and after my loan expires it's reserved until DOOMSDAY

1000080655.jpg

Just finished this for book club.

I enjoyed the plot a lot (even if the main character was an absolute idiot) but we set this before CURRENT EVENTS made it all the more poignant.

The prose however did my tits in, and especially the refusal to use speech marks made some conversations very hard to follow.

Girls I lucked out and spotted this in the library ebooks before anyone else

71b0Sq1XKHL._SY466_.jpg

It's fabulous but long and I'm running out of time to finish it and after my loan expires it's reserved until DOOMSDAY
this sounds great, just bought it. thanks :disco:

Been stuck on this for a while. It's good, but it's just not grabbing me.

81sycJB7kWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom