Greece 2023: Victor Vernicos - What They Say

Saltwater

Ex QOTB
ERT made a press release today with a list of the 7 songs that have competed against each other for the 70 people they handpicked as a televote representative sample in their little shady selection process.

These are:

1. Konstantina Iosifidou - We are Young / genre: ballad (never heard of her)
  2. Melissa Mantzoukis - Liar / genre: uptempo (diaspora girl, probably another Dream 🤮 Team's protégé) <-confirmed
  3. Victor Vernicos - What they say / genre: midtempo (no idea who's he but there's a shipping family by the same name) <- heir confirmed
  4. Monika - I'm proud / genre: Monika (all her songs are identical) (she's a big name, it was already rumored she'd be in, hate her)
  5. Leon of Athens - Somewhere to go / genre: uptempo (a medium name, I like him a lot) <-DT involved in this one
  6. Klavdia - Holy water / genre: ballad (a little name, have considered her for ASFM)
  7. Maria Marangou and Antonia Kaouri - Shout Out / genre: uptempo (talent show alumni) <-DT also involved in this one

Fingers crossed for Leon.

Last edited:
No problem, I just like the idea of a song that transcends genre :D I assume it’ll be the Dream Team act again?

Amused to note that Monika's latest single is a cover of Christmas Is All Around from Love Actually. Did she... not get the joke?

Translating a bit of Monika statement to give you an idea of her :poo::

I am 100% certain of my choice, I thought it over and over for months.
My team has a lot of Grammys and we are all waiting for the final result. If they chose me, I reckon the result will be very high.

If they chose me, I reckon the result will be very high.
Sure Jan GIF

Current gossip on twitter
  • Monika's song was the worst today by a mile
  • She's also said to rub shoulders with the PM's wife though and that it's possible for the ERT minions to rig it for her
  • She's pregnant

Last edited:
I was hoping for a banger from Klavdia :evil:

Gossip intensifies:
  • Better songs ditched in the previous phase of the selection
  • Speculated they've been asked to minimize hosting risk
  • At least 4 out of 7 songs are appalling
  • Not much enthusiasm about any of the somewhat better songs
  • Melissa's song a very basic bop 🤷‍♂️
  • Klavdia's song a very basic ballad 🫂
  • Leon's song worse than Victor's :shock: :cry:
Expectations: 0

Cat Work GIF

NEW rumours EDIT

1. Konstantina Iosifidou - We are Young / genre: ballad
Rock instrumentation, kind of soft/alternative, dated.
Production-wise amateurish/demo.

2. Melissa Mantzoukis - Liar / genre: uptempo
EDM bop, uplifting, girly, basic.
Borderline overproduced.

3. Victor Vernicos - What they say / genre: midtempo
Somewhat similar to SNAP! but less memorable/catchy, changes in tempo needed more work.
Professional production.

4. Monika - I'm proud / genre: Monika
Dead slow, melancholic and very true to her usual style, sounds like it's coming straight from her 00s albums.
Good instrumentation.

5. Leon of Athens - Somewhere to go / genre: uptempo
80's beats and synths, radio-friendly, very simple, 3 years late of the trend.
Professional production.

6. Klavdia - Holy water / genre: ballad
Piano, solid song, good chorus, nice progression, falls short on a defining big moment near the end.
Professional production.

7. Maria Marangou and Antonia Kaouri - Shout Out / genre: uptempo
Flat and unimpressive, yet somehow memorable.
Production-wise amateurish/demo.

Last edited:
It sounds a bit ridiculous if those rumours are true (and not just some queen being a bit histrionic that there isn't something actively aspiring to victory in the lineup). Eurovision is pretty hard to win these days! Countries don't really need to send something actively bad to avoid the possibility

You'd think a country that hadn't hit the top three - hell, the top five - in about 15 years (despite really fucking trying for it a lot of times in the meantime) might have had an idea about that lesson rather than wasting our time with DNQ filler, by the sounds of it.

True and it's too early for any legit info to be coming out, we'll see, I can't help but feel gutted for Leon though.
Quite curious to see what the chopped songs were like at the moment am hoping some of them come out in the following days.

How didn’t that make the cut??

We'll soon have Leon's cause he stated that he will release his song regardless of ERT's decision. Some people say this means he already knows he got rejected, cause time-wise this is the period where ERT is supposed to be holding meetings with the top2 to discuss their ideas about the presentation of their songs. So the assumption is that if he was still in he'd know and wouldn't have made that statement. Klavdia is also rumoured to be rejected, as well as that the top2 are that Vernicos heir and Melissa.

They've ditched Klavdia and Leon am furious

Final 3
Victor Vernicos - What they say
Melissa Mantzoukis - Liar
Maria Marangou & Antonia Kaouri - Shout Out

It's difficult to tell cause DT is involved in two songs making the cut, but am guessing Melissa ticks another ERT's fetish, being the "diaspora girl".
I wouldn't rule the kid out either, but for other reasons.

On a second thought, Shout Out was supposed to be ranked dead last by the demoscopic vote so making it to the top 3 could mean that ERT is really pushing for it.

Dismal.

Why are Greece so resistant to just sending a Paparizou-esque BOP? It’s all we’ll ever want or need from them!

If you imagine the final version of that being a bit more polished and a bit Olivia Rodrigo (which seems to be what they’re going for) is it THAT bad? I feel like everyone losing their shit on Twitter is disregarding the fact that it’s clearly a rough demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom