Greece 2023: Victor Vernicos - What They Say

I do hope Melissa releases her song AND applies to the San Marino selection :disco:

Nepo babies are very in right now, but I don't see this one having the staying power or camp sensibility of Jane Fonda, Nigella Lawson, or the actress with the green kitchen who ended Ellen Degeneres' career.

Some further news about our mess.

It was being reported on tv and sites that the Shout Out girls withdrew their entry the week that preceded ERT's announcement.
The girls have confirmed it. They said that the leak was of a specific part of the song that they didn't like themselves (the chorus) and were already trying to change nonetheless since that was proving to be hard and given the negative reactions they felt that it was better to step back and try some other time with something more suited for them.

Now on the Melissa front, she has hired a lawyer to ask ERT for explanations about the selection process and he has said that he will use ANY and EVERY legal option to ensure that his client was judged fairly, including to object ERT's ruling if the broadcaster fails to deliver justifications and proof about the validity of the process until tomorrow.

Braxton Family Values Drama GIF by WE tv

Apparently, ERT has given Melissa's lawyer some response about the process (i think it's just the scores of the demoscopico and the jury).
We'll have to wait and see if he's going to push further.

Melissa sent a legal document to ERT, I don't know the definition (maybe extrajudicial complaint?) but it's the kind of document that asks from someone sth otherwise you'll take them to court.

What she asks for is to be informed of the detailed scoring per each member of the jury regarding each song in each phase of the competition and the official documents that verify all of the above.

I don't believe it'll change something, i think EBU allows the broadcasters to do whatever they want, but well done to her for standing up for herself.

Last edited:
Apparently, ERT has given Melissa's lawyer some response about the process (i think it's just the scores of the demoscopico and the jury).
We'll have to wait and see if he's going to push further.

One of the key points: Apparently, their main focus of the lawsuit is that the uneven split of number of points, is that it was meant to be a 50/50 vote, but the demoscope jury votes totalled about 1550 points while the ERT production jury totalled 1900 points. :eyes:

One of the key points: Apparently, their main focus of the lawsuit is that the uneven split of number of points, is that it was meant to be a 50/50 vote, but the demoscope jury votes totalled about 1550 points while the ERT production jury totalled 1900 points. :eyes:
Yes, that's the deep dive :D!
The demoscopic was actually meant to account for 50,6% and the jury for 49,4%. Some other good points of hers is that ERT has not answered whether the jury members were made aware of the demoscopic results prior to their voting and also that it is irrational for them to have been awarding points to a withdrawn participant.
The Shout Out girls also came out to ask how it is possible that they ended up being given points for a song they withdrawn.

What a farce! That’s an awful song.

And I thought that national final held in a shopping centre was Greece’s nadir (but at least that gave us Aphrodisiac).

Can we have Evangelia’s tracks please.

I don't know if suing really stops ERT from going on with their decision, I still think it's in their power to do whatever they want.
But it's true that it's impossible to have a court order before the contest, cause it takes several months for sth to go into trial.

Anw I declare Nochentera as my personal national entry.

Last edited:
Latest episode of the Melissodyssey:

ERT also sent a legal document to Melissa, it is of the same sort that she sent to them, whereas if the two sides don't reach an agreement ,one side threatens the other side to take them to court.

Newspapers say it's 6 pages long and it ends with this (googletranslated)
Let it also be noted that you will be solely responsible in the event that any of your actions create an issue regarding the representation of Greece in this year's song contest, given on the one hand the high cost incurred by ERT for its participation in the aforementioned competition, on the other hand, due to the tight time limits set by the EBU regulations for the sending of a complete participation of our country in the above competition, including the video clip. Finally, we inform you that certified copies of the relevant records are at your disposal.

So it seems that they've finally sent her the documents she was asking for in her own letter. Her lawyer though isn't happy and said to the papers that the documents solve some of the questions and perplexed others or created new ones and that the way it is written (ie discouraging someone who is using the legal way to investigate if they were treated fairly) is on its own very problematic.

I think it's normal for ERT to want to maintain that it'll have a representative in Liverpool, cause this translates to viewing figures and advertiser's money in its pockets but on the other hand it's weird that they chose to close their letter like that when they are basically addressing an 18-year-old.

Allegedly the lawyer had an appointment today to go to the broadcaster's premises to be given the paperwork (voting documents etc).
Nonetheless, the appointment was canceled cause it wasn't ready.

lieabetes-disease.gif

So what does this mean in Eurovision terms for Greece this year?
No one knows. It's unprecedented.
From ERT's warning to her stating that she'll be responsible in the event of withdrawal, one can assume that withdrawal is a possibility.
I still doubt it though.

To me the most obvious consequence out of all this, is that nobody will trust or want to go through the selection process next year.
They will have to either go 100% public and televote or withdraw.

Last edited:
Ohh there's development. I will translate.

So there's some info about the content of the lawsuit main points being:
  • asks the broadcaster to admit there was a mistake in the way they chose to grade the songs and that this mistake was the reason she didn't won
  • asks to be compensated 10k euros for economic damage and 150k euros for moral damage if the broadcaster does not acknowledge her win and she misses the contest because of that
  • asks for court measures to stop the broadcaster from any process regarding the representation of Greece in Eurovision until the case is heard in the court :shock:

Last edited:
Can’t they just tell her to GIVE IT UP and just send her next year with the same song? :argh:

I mean I know What They Say sounds a bit SHIT but I’d rather that than us losing another country.

Can’t they just tell her to GIVE IT UP and just send her next year with the same song? :argh:
I think it would have been easier to reach such a settlement a little earlier, but who knows?
There's national elections coming around the 10th of March so I assume ERT's biggest worry will be handling that, not handling this.

Btw ERT is funded by our electricity bills, which means we'll get to pay the compensation if she wins.
:MerylPerplexed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom