OceanGate Titan submersible incident

I don’t think they’ll find it at Glastonbury.

Having just been reading about it, even if they'd paid me £200 grand I wouldn't have got in that thing! It looks like it was knocked up in a back garden shed.

Classic case of more money than sense, I imagine the trip wasn't cheap.

Classic case of more money than sense, I imagine the trip wasn't cheap.
It was $250000 (£195000) per person according to the newspapers. A quarter of a million dollars per person! So that's half a million dollars paid by the bloke with the teenage son.

What are the odds of anyone still being alive? Surely it’s broken down so power gone and all its anti pressure and oxygen systems aren’t working anyway, right?

What are the odds of anyone still being alive? Surely it’s broken down so power gone and all its anti pressure and oxygen systems aren’t working anyway, right?

Its either crushed at the bottom of the sea or bobbing about on the surface lost. Apparently it communicates with the control ship by fucking TEXT MESSAGE

They don't know what's wrong with it but they think it might be trapped in or on the actual wreckage of the Titanic, it's one-button operation which I assume is just up or down. If they went in too close and got snagged on the wreck it's curtains anyway. Just been reading up on it further and this vessel has no safety certificates and has never been inspected by any safety authority. It doesn't help that they can only receive text messages (if the equipment is even working) and have no way of contacting the outside. Even if they did manage to get it back to the surface somebody outside it has to undo the bolts so they still might suffocate. I think death would be a blessed release if it hasn't already happened.

I feel like this warrants a topic.

I haven't read too much on this as it's just too nightmarish to imagine. But was this a company that regularly offered this 'service' or a hare-brained one-off?

Because if it's the former, YIKES. Worst PR week since Peloton killed Mr Big.

An oddball assignment that he probably didn't think too much of at the time and now he's the closest thing they can find to an expert on these submarines.

CEO and founder was onboard and it doesn't seem like there's much of a company to speak of without him.

Fyre Festival at the bottom of the ocean.

Millionaires coming face to face with the deregulation they love so much.

Jagged Little Pill GIF by Alanis Morissette

I assume that all of the rest of the employees of this company will currently be making sure that all safety violations lead back to the CEO so that none of them have to go to prison.

I said this on Twitter but I am really struggling with the fact there are people seemingly taking glee in rich people dying what is quite a horrible death (including a 19 year old boy). It does seem crazy that the company are running at all, but I still feel bad for the people ffs.

Also, whilst I agree with what Ellie says about - how do we know these people haven't done fantastic philanthropic things AS WELL?

The same level of media focus was given when the Thai football team got lost in those caves - so it's not just a rich person thing, which seems to be what some people are taking offence to. It's just an 'interesting', if morbid, story.

I swear if I was a billionaire and had £250k to just throw away, I’d pick a random person who needs it and buy them a house.
That’s because you’re normal. These billionaires seem to succumb to megalomania very quickly.

Like seriously though, regardless of who the people are the levels of anxiety the whole story is giving me as someone NOT in there. I just can't even imagine how awful it would be.

Like seriously though, regardless of who the people are the levels of anxiety the whole story is giving me as someone NOT in there. I just can't even imagine how awful it would be.
I think we all agree with that. Most people are mainly just shocked that this kind of trip is even a THING to begin with and that they sign waivers knowing the risks involved, all for what? Bragging rights? It’s not even like Skydiving where there’s a thrill involved.

I knew James Cameron has been done several times even after making the movie, and I’m not sure the reasons for that either.

Just for fascination surely. It's like the Wright Brothers trying to fly - I'm sure plenty of people said 'all for what'? They were doing something no-one had ever done before and other people died in the pursuit of it.

Same as people going up into space. Just checked and currently the statistics are that 2.3% of people that have attempted to go into space, have died doing so. Death rate for those climbing Everest is 1% (and there are 4% deaths to successful attempts). The pursuit of expanding the world we live in is full of risk.

I don't want to do any of those things myself and I'm sure they knew there was risk but I do understand why people would want to. And I don't think people are quite as scathing when someone dies trying to climb Everest for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom