Sarah Harding DEAD

Even if it's only someone curating an all killer no filler playlist or something...

:(

Farewell to an icon. Really difficult to comprehend even with all that we already knew.

Reactions: Zu
Considering I never watched the original Pop Stars series, I must admit that any show that brought us Girls Aloud AND the Cheeky Girls is worth twice it's weight in gold.

Tragic. 39 is no age - she had so much life to live. Listening to Call The Shots, the crowning moment of this extraordinary group. Rest in Peace Sarah.

Whole Lotta History is going to be an immediate skip for a while, I feel. :(

Absolutely gutted :( Feel like I've been waiting for this thread. Really really heartbroken :(

Something New and all it's strident charge never sounded so momentous, vital and triumphant. Her walk on the wild side leaves a lethal trail like no other. We've lost a genuine icon of modern pop.

I got messaged "RIP Walking Primrose" and totally misunderstood, joking that what I thought was a TV show they were watching on Amazon sounded like some cheap Channel 5 documentary they would scramble to make if she passes. I then actually went on to hope that please can she make it. Then I saw here. I've not cried: my immediate thought was to put Something New on and just let it trample all over my stress and anxiety to feel something exciting. If ever a moment in a song captured the raw energy of its singer it would either be "take a walk on the wild side of life" or the mega "here I am walking primrose". Or, you know, GMTV.

ICON.

20210905_175826.jpg

The way old friends do.

So so sad to have heard this :(

Mandy is devastated.

I knew she was poorly but stupidly just assumed she would get better.

• Care
Reactions: COB
Love everyone who thought she would pull through for their optimism, but the writing was totally on the wall from the moment it was announced. Not that that makes any difference whatsoever.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again here- I’m still not over Girls Aloud splitting up, and this is even more heartbreaking than that.

It'll take me a while to get over this. Funny how I was just listening to Tangled Up this past Friday at the gym.

The Pets said in one of their liner notes I think from their time working at Xenomania that Sarah was their favourite of GA, and I obviously trust their judgement.

This is just so so upsetting. I keep tearing up.

It’s been such an odd 24 hours with the Cheryl/Nicola reunion then this in the morning.

It makes me so so sad that they won’t all be together to celebrate their undeniable legacy next year.

The last great pop punk band before media training ironed out ANY personality. And Sarah was at the centre of that. Heartbroken.

I know we all knew how this story would end but even so, I‘m not coping with this at all well. What a shockingly short life she had. I‘ve been at my mum‘s this weekend and have had to bark DON‘T TURN THE NEWS ON! on various occasions as well as swiftly exiting the lounge at various intervals to have a cry

I know we all knew how this story would end but even so, I‘m not coping with this at all well.
It's what has made it almost more sobering as far as I'm concerned. The kind of inevitability of it, being aware that the news might drop and feeling sucker-punched nonetheless.

She was the headline on the News at 10 tonight. I may have shed a tear watching the report.

• Care
Like everyone else, I'd been dreading this day for the last year knowing that one day I would open a news site or social media and see the story and so it happened this morning. Just yesterday I was on her Wikipedia page after listening to some GA. It hit me pretty hard despite its inevitability. As someone said, we had the fantastic Cheryl and Nicola reunion last night and then this today.

Obviously the tragedy is a young woman dying in a horrific way long before her time but to know that we will never see GA as a 5 ever again is hard to take and accept. Especially with them all finally making up, a reunion would have been inevitable in the next few years. Worse than that is that whenever I and indeed we listen to GA's music (which for me is a daily occurrence) there will be a dark cloud hanging over forever more. It will be impossible to not think of Sarah and what happened to her on every listen. I almost have a tear in my eye as I write this 😥

Farewell walking primrose, we're going to miss you ❤️

Last edited:
This has been like a dark cloud all day. I just realised that of the big moments in my life - changing jobs, first car, first Internet meet-up(!), first trip alone to San Francisco and SO ON - each one was soundtracked by a Girls Aloud song. "What Will the Neighbours Say?" was their golden era for me with them getting a new glam/camp sheen, working with Xenomania, and having Form provide the art direction. I mean, LOOK! Lightning in a bottle.

Form.uk_.com_Music10.jpg

While I mourn the loss of a vibrant young woman, I'm also rather selfishly mourning the loss of some of my past that can't be recaptured so I'm going to get tiddly and celebrate the memory of SAZ's joie de vivre instead (and also hope I don't post in the drunken thread later). CHEERS LUV, you are loved.

Could not believe it when I saw Dame Lizzie Cundy on breakfast TV talking about Sarah. I was at the gym and could only read the subtitles, but "of course we had the occasional night out" being the high/lowlight.

I'm listening to Out of Control (my favourite of their albums) and the more wistful tracks (The Loving Kind, Turn To Stone, Untouchable) are hitting differently. R.I.P. Sarah.

Just been to the shop. She's on the front of every newspaper. :(

It's weird that all of the Girls Aloud members have paid tribute, except Cheryl.

It's weird that all of the Girls Aloud members have paid tribute, except Cheryl.

She just has.

It brings up this impossible situation with social media, that race to get a press release out. They were band mates and friends for nearly 20 years. People need their own time to grieve and accept the news without locals analysing every little detail.

Last edited:
One of them was always going to be last to post something.

And we all process grief differently. As much as I have been looking at the tributes, I hate the whole business of having to be seen as grieving or making a statement about it for it somehow to be valid or even happening at all.

I’m not the worlds biggest fan of Cheryl but it is such a weird position for her to be in. Literally hours before the news she’s headlining a festival and reunited with Nicola on stage to rapturous applause. That’s a massive thing for the fans.

It’s such a bittersweet thing that she had that then didn’t get to just take it all in because of this impossibly sad situation.

It’s just so lovely how all the girls have acknowledged the fans’ grief in all this too.

They are the greatest band there ever was and I suppose I relate to them so much because they’re all around the same age as me (and a fair few of the Moopy contingent). We started a club night so we could play their album tracks FFS.

Popjustice’s - a site so ingrained in GA lore - tribute was lovely and it did make me scream in amongst the tears when one of their greatest fears was being MURDERED. That’s got to be Nadine :D

Absolute legends, what a legacy.

Last edited:
@monsta, do you want to curate a playlist for us? I'd love to schedule an evening to honour the legacy.

It's so sad that she died so young, but the best band that ever was?

I don't care when or how the girls pay tribute to Sarah. I can't change that and it's none of my business.

I've just played my playlist of the hottest GA bangers for the last 24 hours and remembered how much fucking joy they brought me down the years. Her legacy is absolute joy.

A sync GA listen, to revel in their peaks is the best tribute Moopy can pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom