The HOTLY ANTICIPATED 2022 Christmas Number One thread

The #36 newly released album of 2022 will probably have done well if it sold 46k in total.

In other news, Sarah Connor’s Xmas banger (Ring The Bells) has entered UK Spotify at #168 :o :D

I’m assuming it somehow is on a big playlist? But what an odd but fabulous little chart bit!

Christmas Eve Spotify charts. Figure in brackets is where the song is on Spotify's biggest Christmas playlist.

01 (02) Wham! - Last Christmas 1.931m streams
02 (01) Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You 1.755m
03 (03) Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree 1.707m
04 (04) Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock 1.434m
05 (05) Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas 1.408m
06 (08)Andy Williams - It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year - 1.234m
07 (06) Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me 1.128m
08 (22) The Pogues - Fairytale Of New York 1.110m
09 (09) Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree 1.072m
10 (42) Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone 1.068m
11 (17) Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? 1.063m
12 (07) Dean Martin - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! 1.036m
13 (13) Paul MCartney - Wonderful Christmastime 1.010m
14 (30) Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas 1.007m
15 (12) John Lennon - Happy Christmas (War Is Over) 997k
16 (11) The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride 988k
17 (15) Jose Feliciano - Feliz Navidad 949k
18 (14) Michael Bublé - Holly Jolly Christmas 941k
19 (38) Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day 929k
20 (27) Elton John - Step Into Christmas 871k

The highest non Christmas song was Raye at #48 (315k)

So the top seven are all in the first eight songs on the biggest playlist. Understandable but really shows how farcical the resulting chart becomes.

Christmas Eve Spotify charts. Figure in brackets is where the song is on Spotify's biggest Christmas playlist.

01 (02) Wham! - Last Christmas 1.931m streams
02 (01) Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You 1.755m
03 (03) Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree 1.707m
04 (04) Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock 1.434m
05 (05) Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas 1.408m
06 (08)Andy Williams - It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year - 1.234m
07 (06) Ariana Grande - Santa Tell Me 1.128m
08 (22) The Pogues - Fairytale Of New York 1.110m
09 (09) Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree 1.072m
10 (42) Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone 1.068m
11 (17) Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? 1.063m
12 (07) Dean Martin - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! 1.036m
13 (13) Paul MCartney - Wonderful Christmastime 1.010m
14 (30) Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas 1.007m
15 (12) John Lennon - Happy Christmas (War Is Over) 997k
16 (11) The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride 988k
17 (15) Jose Feliciano - Feliz Navidad 949k
18 (14) Michael Bublé - Holly Jolly Christmas 941k
19 (38) Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day 929k
20 (27) Elton John - Step Into Christmas 871k

The highest non Christmas song was Raye at #48 (315k)

This is actually far more insightful than the official charts - we can actually see which are genuinely popular versus those that we're really not arsed about but will chart highly purely because they've been forced on us (Dean, the Ronettes).

I do wonder whether this is the only reason it's become such a 2-horse race between Mariah and Wham; would the Pogues and Shaky be up there if they weren't so hobbled?

The biggest 'loser' chartwise is Sia's Snowman. #10 on the Spotify playlist, #21 on Christmas Eve Spotify chart. That really does suggest to me that relatively few people are actively seeking it out. Leona finished only 3 places behind her, despite being 21 places below her on the playlist.

And yes, I'd like to see Spotify playlist Shaky and The Pogues at the top next year to see what impact that had on the chart.

Last edited:
It does feel a bit like Leona has been shafted this year playlist wise, and that’s definitely reflected in her charting. There’s no general feeling (to me) of people no longer liking it etc. Really she should be alongside Ariana and Kelly as far as modern Christmas bangers go in terms of actual popularity I’d wager.

It does feel a bit like Leona has been shafted this year playlist wise, and that’s definitely reflected in her charting. There’s no general feeling (to me) of people no longer liking it etc. Really she should be alongside Ariana and Kelly as far as modern Christmas bangers go in terms of actual popularity I’d wager.
It's pretty much ALL due to playlisting with those three, I'm sure. And they are an interesting group to compare.

On the main Spotify playlist position it's #6 Ariana, #9 Kelly, #31 Leona.

On streaming total last week it was #9 Ariana, #10 Kelly, #23 Leona.

On sales last week #29 Leona, #32 Kelly, #46 Ariana.

On iTunes yesterday #23 Leona, #37 Kelly #61 Ariana.

That Leona is the only one of the three outperforming her playlist position, and that more people are willing to pay for her song suggests to me that her song is actually the most popular of the three, despite seemingly performing the poorest of the three in the final chart.

It's long past time for them to be cleared out - anything older than 3 years should have a 1/10 of the streaming ratio and its own chart to fuck about in.

It's long past time for them to be cleared out - anything older than 3 years should have a 1/10 of the streaming ratio and its own chart to fuck about in.
And if they don't want to deal with the Running Up That Hill situation, just call it a festive chart and only run it from mid November or whenever the first ones begin to impact.

Last edited:
On a Ladbaby note, his 5 Christmas number ones have spent a total of 8 weeks on the chart:

We Built This City 1 - 21 - 84
I Love Sausage Rolls 1 - 57
Don't Stop Me Eatin' 1 - 78
Sausage Rolls For Everyone 1 - 29
Food Aid 1 -

Food Aid was #200 on Spotify on Christmas Eve with 81k streams.

Also interesting to note how almost half of everyone seemingly GIVE UP on the playlist between the Brenda-Bobby-Buble-Ariana section.

I would.

Last edited:
Nuts to remember the #36 album in 2002 sold 47k in one week. Now the actual sales of the #36 best selling album this week is probably about 1k, if that.
Breathtaking stat! And weren't albums about a tenner a pop back then too? I'd be fascinated to know the overall sales figure the entire top 40 managed that week.

Yeah I vaguely remember when I first starting buying albums on Amazon and the RRP for Steps Gold was £13.99. I’m assuming that was a fairly standard price for new releases?

I think 2000 was the highest album sales year, but a quick look shows for 2005 the total album sales for Xmas week were 8,572,001 for the week :o

I still have pricetags on some of my CDs. I paid £13.99 for Manic Street Preachers' "This Is My Truth Tell me Yours". Severely grudged the £13 for Taylor Swift's Midnights and am genuinely a bit cross it's now a tenner everywhere.

What does he actually DO for the rest of the year?
He's a YouTube influencer with a million or so audience isn't he? So presumably content production, sponsorships/collaborations and living off the ad revenues/deal money/perks :eyes:

Oh and I presume actually doing something towards taking care of the sprogs he's famous for.

He's got 1.6m followers on Instagram. That’s a shitload, considering I assume he's got hardly anyone outside of the UK following him.

How utterly depressing.

The power of influencers today still continues to shock me with every story.

That footage this week of people climbing over each other like it’s Black Friday to get the new Logan Paul flavoured water (now available at Aldi!) is such a sign of the times.

The power of influencers today still continues to shock me with every story.

That footage this week of people climbing over each other like it’s Black Friday to get the new Logan Paul flavoured water (now available at Aldi!) is such a sign of the times.
Yes, I nearly started a thread about that Prime water nonsense, but it felt akin to self harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom