What streaming services do you have on subscription? [Cost of Living Crisis Remix]

What do you pay for?

• Total voters
I think the tax write off was specifically for "Max", as they were taking advantage of some very specific tax status that applied to them during the Discovery/WB merger. Most of the other ones seem to be more about no longer having to pay residuals to creatives once their shows aren't being hosted on your service any more, I think - either way it's very IFFY behaviour.

I won't let go of Amazon for the delivery, like Ellie.

Disney I've paid an annual subscription for, and I almost certainly will renew that because my great nieces use it all the time, and I can afford it more easily than their mum, plus I have watched the odd thing on it.

Paramount+ I had on a half price annual subscription last year, but I will cancel that as I've barely watched a thing on it - even though again, like Netflix l, there are a few shows I'm sure I'd like but realistically will never get around to.

I think what I really ought to do is just cancel Netflix, cancel Paramount+ when it runs out, and then when if I ever get to a point when there really is nothing I want to watch on every other channel (we pay for Sky as well), just decide to subscribe to either for a month or two, binge what we want to watch, and then cancel it again.

I pay for my Netflix and my mum's Netflix. Spawn pays for Apple Music and Disney+. I have Amazon Prime for the delivery but also have to pay for Amazon Music because Mr F has a Samsung phone and you can't install Apple Music on his phone. I also pay £7 a month for MUTV (Manchester United TV) for Mr F so that I don't have to pay Virgin for sports channels, he can watch matches on there.

I still have Netflix, Prime and Hayu, although Hayu gets cancelled and reinstated depending on when there's a new series of Below Deck to watch.

Amazon Prime is absolute shit, I never find anything I want to watch on there that's included, anything half decent I have to pay extra for which I refuse. But I am loathe to cancel it because I love the free postage.

Netflix is average, I used to love it but I'm struggling to find much to watch on there now.

I see a lot of movies advertised on Tiktok and when is search for them they're never available on the apps I have which I find frustrating, but also can't justify paying for anymore.

I was tempted by Paramount and Disney but I can't afford it.

I used to pay for Amazon music but my god it's shit. So now I piggyback onto Mandy's Spotify.

It still maintain that Apple TV+ is the best value for money for quality content. Just finished the first series of Platonic, which was also excellent.

Apple TV+ is the only one I've paid for a year of upfront - though that said I've still barely dipped in to any of it other than Ted Lasso, but there's lots I want to crack on with.

NowTV I paid for when Succession was on (and most of that was on the reduced offer you get when you pretend to cancel) but I've now let the ents/tv package go and just have another few months of the film one (again on a reduced rate; but I rarely think to watch anything). Disney+ and Netflix I have log-ins for via family, but I can't remember the last time I watched anything on either.

I've also paid for the ad-free Channel 4 and ITVX subscriptions in the past, as they're cheap, have a fair bit of stuff I've wanted to watch, and I can 't be doing with BASTARD ADS.

I tend to watch more stuff on iPlayer than any of 'em tbh. Since Monday alone I've watched all of The Sixth Commandment and half of The Traitors Australia

How much is Apple TV?
It’s £6.99 a month at the moment, but started off at £4.99. Like the others you can stop/start at any time. I got the first year free at first. I think they only do 3-6 month trial deals at the moment.

Either way, there have only been one or two things I didn’t completely get on board with. Almost everything they have is worth watching.

It’s £6.99 a month at the moment, but started off at £4.99. Like the others you can stop/start at any time. I got the first year free at first. I think they only do 3-6 month trial deals at the moment.

Either way, there have only been one or two things I didn’t completely get on board with. Almost everything they have is worth watching.
Hmm it is tempting. I think I pay £4.99 for Hayu and I watch one program on it 🤦🏻‍♀️

I'm just starting to resent all these pay for subscription services when most have hardly anything of interest on them.

I might see what Apple TV has to offer for me to watch.

I posted this in the ratings thread, but I'll leave it here as well.

Barb has released data from its Establishment Survey showing that 19.08 million UK homes (67.4% of households) had access to a subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service in Q1 2023. This was a -1.7% decrease from 19.42 million in Q4 2022.

Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ saw small quarterly drops in the number of UK homes with access to their services:

• 16.96 million homes had access to Netflix in Q1 2023, down -1.1% from 17.15 million in Q4 2022.
  • 12.90 million homes had access to Amazon Prime Video in Q1 2023, down -1.7% from 13.12 million in Q4 2022.
  • 7.14 million homes had access to Disney+ in Q1 2023, a decline of -1.9% from 7.28 million in Q4 2022.

By contrast, NOW and Apple TV+ saw quarterly gains:

• 2.03 million homes had access to NOW in Q1 2023, up +8.0% on 1.88 million in Q4 2022.
  • 1.91 million homes had access to Apple TV+ in Q1 2023, an increase of +13.0% from 1.69 million in Q4 2022.

What is Now TV? I assumed it was like a firestick but it isn't is it 🤔

I don't really know. But I'm told that as we have Sky+ we don't need it.
We had Sky+ but cancelled it because it was ridiculously expensive. I'm wondering if Now TV would be better. I need to research!

It still maintain that Apple TV+ is the best value for money for quality content. Just finished the first series of Platonic, which was also excellent.

Nah. Their catalogue is comparably tiny. They only carry their own shows, which is a choice. If streaming is the future people will want services that offer new and old stuff.

I don’t understand why Apple hasn’t combined their TV and music subscriptions because it’s the one advantage they have over Spotify and Netflix - they offer both.

Nah. Their catalogue is comparably tiny. They only carry their own shows, which is a choice. If streaming is the future people will want services that offer new and old stuff.

I don’t understand why Apple hasn’t combined their TV and music subscriptions because it’s the one advantage they have over Spotify and Netflix - they offer both.
The thing is that I probably watch Apple shows 40-50% of the time I’m watching any service, and all of them I have on lists where I’m anticipating the next series to watch as soon as it’s available. Disney next, and Netflix makes up only a tiny part of what I ever select.

The endless scrolling through crap content to find something watchable on Amazon and Netflix puts me off in the first place when browsing. I also wish there was an option to mark shows and films as ‘watched’ and to be able to turn on a feature to filter them out when browsing. Even if it’s a film you haven’t watched on their platform, I don’t need them suggesting random 90s movies I’ve seen 10 times before.

I honestly only keep them all because of password sharing with others. So far my mum can still log in to them all.

Oh I absolutely agree about being able to mark films as watched and filter them out! The amount of times I've started to watch a film thinking it sounds good, then realise I've already seen it is ridiculous.

What is Now TV? I assumed it was like a firestick but it isn't is it 🤔
Just an app you download to your TV. If you think about the main Sky entertainment content - it will be on NOW TV at the same time as broadcast on Sky itself. And Just Like That... being a good example.

Just an app you download to your TV. If you think about the main Sky entertainment content - it will be on NOW TV at the same time as broadcast on Sky itself. And Just Like That... being a good example.
Ooh I think I may need to get it!

Now TV has a fabulous selection of stuff we're making our way through. My favourite subscription yet.

SPOTIFY INCREASES PRICES

Premium Single Premium DuoPremium Family Premium Student
$10.99 $14.99$16.99$5.99

I'm the only person in the world who has a subscription to just the NORDIC content on VIAPLAY

Got a notification that Spotify Duo price changes from 9.99 to 10.49.

season 8 friends GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Zu
Went up €1 for me. Now they can afford to give us even more shitty pointless unnecessary updates nobody wanted.

Oh hang on, Spotify duo - that's going up from £14.99 to £15.99 - I was talking about the premium single rate.

RIP OFF BRITAIN

Does having lower salaries but the same currency as the rest of Europe lead to other problems with costs of things?

Does having lower salaries but the same currency as the rest of Europe lead to other problems with costs of things?
This is a big question and given this ain't the thread for it, am worried I might bore the rest of Moopy to the point of death.
But in short I think yes and I also think it involves most of the south. Possibly the east too.

Might @Fixied be our latest AI pal? :disco:

Probably likes both to keep her company up IN THE CLOUD if so

Last edited:
Netflix is getting very annoying, now everytime I commute to the island and back it asks me to confirm the tvs are mine. And am planning to go the village in a few days. Do they expect us to get separate subscriptions every place we go?

My Spotify app keeps crashing which I think is rude so I’m going to smash my phone, cancel the very pricey subscription and spend the wins on Oinks

Just cancelled my Netflix. I've been dithering about it for a while.

Surprised they let me go as easily as they did. I fully imagined it would be a bit more than two clicks and done. Or at least an offer for a few quid off for a month or two, after I've been a paying customer for I think nearly a decade.

I've also cancelled my Paramount Plus annual subscription, which was a half price one, but if I don't do it while I think of it, I'll forget.

So I have just over three weeks to binge anything on Netflix, and three months for Paramount Plus. But I'll probably just subscribe to WoW Presents Plus instead.

I feel quite pleased with myself :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom